Cloud & HPC Software Engineer
Posted on Aug 1, 2019 by CV-Library
Primarily responsible to support STEP related activities in the Materials Science and Scientific Computing department in developing HPC applications and/or migration to cloud.
As a software developer within the Scientific Computing Group the individual will be responsible for implementation of key applications across the authority programmes, supporting migration to cloud and/or development of novel HPC applications. The post requires working with scientists and engineers across the business to encourage uptake of cloud technologies or working to optimise HPC codes.
There will also be expected to exploit their role to investigate future usage of novel technologies such as ARM processors, GPUs, large shared memory machines, NVM systems and object stores, as well as to report on and encourage the adoption of these where appropriate.
* Relevant Scientific/Engineering/Computing degree with at least 2 years education experience, or equivalent experience within a commercial or research environment.
* Strong leadership experience with small to medium size teams working to tight deadlines and within budgetary constraints
* Significant experience in one or more of the following:
o Cloud technologies (e.g. virtualisation, orchestration, containerisation, software defined networking)
o HPC technologies (e.g. MPI, OpenMP, PGAS, MPI-IO, HPC debugging and analysis suites)
o Modern Data Management Technologies (e.g. persistent identifiers, metadata standardisation, object storage, provenance standards)
o ML/AI technologies and techniques (e.g. tensorflow, Apache Spark, clustering techniques)
* Significant hands-on experience with either deployment of applications across cloud environments or in HPC optimisation.
* Demonstrable experience in implementing medium to large scale applications in multi user environments in at least one of the following languages: C++, C, FORTRAN (F90 onwards), Python
* Confident in use of the UNIX command line.
* Excellent and demonstrable communication and presentation skills.
* A track record of publication in either scientific or computing related journals.
* A background in fusion research, particularly common codes used during analysis and modelling.
* A background in modern software engineering practices.
* Experience working with scientists in a research environment.
* Experience of other computing languages.
* Interest in new and emerging technologies (e.g. Intel MIC, GPGPU, NVMe, Stacked memory) and how they can be used to improve application performance.
* Experience in database technologies and query APIs.
Cloud & HPC Software Engineer - Oxfordshire - 9 Months