Posted on Jul 30, 2019 by MARYLAND LEGAL AID
**A RESUME AND COVER LETTER ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION**
The Midwestern Maryland office announces an immediate opening for a full-time general practice staff attorney.
Essential Functions: Handle all functions related to case work from initial intake through representation of clients before all relevant agencies, courts, etc. Staff attorneys may be expected to work with other attorneys, law graduates, legal assistants/paralegals, social workers, and students on cases or projects. Maintain case files in accordance with Bureau standards.
Tasks assigned to staff attorneys may include any or all but are not limited to the following.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Screen clients for eligibility and make referrals, as appropriate;
2. Conduct preliminary and subsequent interviews with clients;
3. Conduct factual investigation and analysis, and legal research;
4. Advise clients of results of investigation and research and counsel clients about their options;
5. Prepare pleadings, including but not limited to, complaints, answers, memoranda of law, briefs, etc.;
6. Develop case theory and strategy for the representation of clients;
7. Prepare cases and represent clients in negotiations, hearings, trials and appeals;
8. Work with various community groups and accept speaking engagements as assigned by supervisor;
9. Continue professional development and education through attendance at Bureau sponsored training and other programs;
10. Perform other duties, as assigned within the scope of the essential functions of the position.
Qualifications: Admitted to practice in the State of Maryland, or admitted in another jurisdiction, graduate of an ABA approved law school and eligible for admission in the State of Maryland. Out-of-State attorneys must be able and available to take next scheduled bar exam following date of employment.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER