Senior Software Developer (Dev Ops)
Posted on Jul 19, 2019 by Royal London
Founded in 1861, we're the UK's largest mutual life, pensions and investment company. Our award-winning customer service and our mutuality means we can give customers that little bit more, and you can trust us to be there for you when it counts.
Senior Software Developer (DevOps Engineer)
Contract Type - Permanent
At Royal London we want to attract the best talent to help us achieve our vision of becoming the most trusted and recommend financial company in the UK.
We are the largest mutual life, pensions and Investment Company in the UK, with Group funds under management of £118.9 billion and latest ProfitShare pay out to members of £142 million. Group businesses provide around 9.0 million policies and employ 3,976 people (figures as of 05 Feb 2019).
We have an exciting permanent opportunity for a Senior Software Developer (DevOps Engineer) to join GTC Application Services Team in our Edinburgh office.
You will use your deep technical expertise and excellent personal skills, in a dynamic environment, to deliver and continuously improve excellent solutions and technical services that enable competitive advantage through technology and change.
What will you be doing
- Drives the delivery of complex technical solutions within own area of technical expertise.
- Provides technical advice and guidance to other software developers, proactively and reactively.
- Provides quality assurance of work relating to own area of technical expertise.
- Carries out impact assessment of complex changes to existing applications.
- Able to deliver code that meets Group standards, guidelines and quality gates for given technology.
- Will ensure all code is thoroughly tested to ensure any issues are identified as early as possible, working closely with the test team.
- Will ensure technical solutions are safely implemented to production environment(s) without impact to internal or external customers.
- Encourages close collaboration with other disciplines within the team, particularly infrastructure teams.
- Takes an active role on the transfer of knowledge and sharing of experiences relating to own area of technical expertise at practice level.
What we're looking for
- Experience of Azure DevOps or TFS preferred
- Experience of Microsoft, Visual Studio, .NET and Angular technologies preferred
- Experience of CI/CD and Release Management concepts and practices
- Experienced with automation, scripting and orchestration
- Powershell, with proven ability to pick up diverse tools and languages (e.g. SQL, ANT, IVY, Ruby, Python)
- Familiarity with setup, administration, and management of development and testing products and toolsets e.g Visual Studio, Micro Focus Performance Center
Skills that will help you in the role
• Solid understanding of the full software development lifecycle
• Familiar with agile development practices
• Working with key stakeholders throughout the business and building strong relationships
• Providing suggestions to other teams to provide process improvements
What we offer
- We've always been proud to reward employees by offering a number of benefits such as Pensions and Protection, Performance and role-related benefits, Lifestyle and Wellbeing
- Our culture comes from within, or to put it another way, it comes from our people. It's what makes Royal London a great place to work.
- Our People Promise is something we live up to every day. We know we can rely on you, and you can expect plenty from us in return.
- Glassdoor have ranked as among the best places to work and this year we entered the top 10
We are an equal opportunities employer. We work hard to attract the best talent for our award-winning team. We believe that embracing difference makes us stronger. Our diverse people bring us different skills - whatever their educational background, disability, gender, age, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief.
We will consider flexible working arrangements for all our roles. We also welcome applications from individuals who have taken an extended career break.