Medical Statistician - Health Data Research UK
Posted on Jul 17, 2019 by The Wellcome Sanger Institute
Salary range: £36,737 to £44,451pa plus excellent benefits Fixed-term: 3 years We seek an experience Medical Statistician to analyse high-dimensional data arising from the integration of molecular, genomic and imaging data with clinical information from electronic health records to identify causal risk factors associated with a range of diseases. The post-holder will have access to rich, unique datasets from multiple population and patient cohorts, which include genetic, multi-omic and EHR data. Candidates should have: i) a Masters or PhD in Statistics or another relevant subject; ii) strong statistical/quantitative skills and knowledge of high-dimensional statistical methods (eg. LASSO, ridge regression); iii) excellent statistical programming skills (e.g. Stata, R); iv) high-level report writing and presentation skills and; v) excellent verbal and written communication skills. Health Data Research UK is the new national institute for data science for health, which is being established in 2018 with long term (10 year+) funding support from research councils, UKRI, charitable and governmental research funders. The mission of HDR UK is to drive improvements in the health tripartite of patients and populations through research at regional and national scale. To deliver this mission, the Wellcome Sanger Institute (WSI), EMBL-European Bioinformatics Institute (EBI), and the University of Cambridge (UoC) and its associated hospitals came together as the HDR Cambridge partnership. Essential Skills
- Masters or PhD in Statistics or another relevant subject
- Strong statistical/quantitative skills and knowledge of high-dimensional statistical methods (eg. LASSO, ridge regression).
- Excellent statistical programming skills (e.g. Stata, R)
- High-level report writing and presentation skills.
- Strong organisational and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to judge priorities and work to tight deadlines.
- Ability to be productive and energetic.
- Ability to work to targets both independently and within a team environment.
- Ability to ensure accuracy and rigor in all areas of work.
Other information The Wellcome Sanger Institute is a charitably funded research centre and committed to training the next generation of genome scientists. Focused on understanding the role of genetics in health and disease and a world leader in the genomic revolution, our mission is to use genome sequences to advance understanding of human and pathogen biology in order to improve human health. We aim to provide results that can be translated into diagnostics, treatments or therapies that reduce global health burdens. Our science is large-scale and organised into Programmes, led by our Faculty who conceive and deliver our science, and supported by our Scientific Operations teams responsible for all data production pipelines at the Institute. Our Campus: Set over 125 acres, the stunning and dynamic Wellcome Genome Campus is the biggest aggregate concentration of people in the world working on the common theme of Genomes and BioData. It brings together a diverse and exceptional scientific community, committed to delivering life-changing science with the reach, scale and imagination to pursue some of humanity's greatest challenges.Our Benefits: Our employees have access to a comprehensive range of benefits and facilities including:
- Group Defined Contribution Pension Scheme and Life Assurance
- Group Income Protection
- Private Health Insurance
- 25 days annual leave, increasing by one day a year to a maximum of 30
- Family friendly environment including options for flexible and part-time working, a childcare voucher scheme, Campus Nursery and Summer holiday club
- Two days paid Employee Volunteering Leave a year
- Employee Discount Scheme
- Campus Gym, tennis courts and sports hall plus a range of dining facilities
- Active Campus Sports and Social Club
- Free Campus Bus Service
Genome Research Limited hold an Athena SWAN Bronze Award and will consider all individuals without discrimination and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees, where everyone can thrive. Please include a covering letter and CV with your application. Closing date for applications: 4 August 2019 Interview date: 12 August 2019