Junior DevOps Engineer
Posted on Jul 12, 2019 by CV-Library
This varied and challenging role touches on all levels of Systems Engineering within a web business; supporting, building and maintaining the hosting, high-security networks, applications and tools that the business and our customers depend on.
We develop applications in several different languages and open-source frameworks, deploying and supporting them in our own datacentre environment.
This is an ideal opportunity for a recent graduate with some relevant industry experience.
The ideal candidate
* You have the ability to maintain a holistic view and understanding of our infrastructure and systems in order to identify and address challenging technical issues.
* You hold a minimum of a 2:1 degree (or equivalent) in an IT related subject.
* You are a self-starter and quick to learn new technologies and approaches.
* You have a love for problem-solving backed up by strong analytical skills.
* You have experience of debugging both infrastructure and application issues.
* You have a desire to pick up new skills and share your knowledge with colleagues.
* You fill the gaps in your knowledge by asking the right questions, performing research and asking for appropriate help.
* You are interested in automation and building infrastructure as code and may already have experience with Docker.
* You have an interest in or experience of monitoring and analytics tools (e.g. Prometheus and Grafana).
* You are confident writing code and command line scripts (e.g. PowerShell).
* You have an interest in Cyber Security.
* Provide excellent technical support to colleagues and customers.
* Plan, document and communicate technical changes, taking into account risk and ensuring best practices are followed.
* Assist development teams with deploying applications to different environments.
* Updating software and infrastructure to maintain good Cyber Security.
* Proactive monitoring of systems and infrastructure and responding to alerts.
* Configuring, maintaining and enhancing system monitoring.
* Troubleshoot, document and communicate solutions to technical problems.
* Participate in on-call support (responding to alerts generated by monitoring systems).
* Build good working relationships with colleagues and customers.
* With guidance, design, develop, test, implement and document infrastructure solutions to support core business functions.
* With guidance, design, develop, test, and document code relating to infrastructure automation.
Knowledge and Experience of the Ideal Candidate
Confident with Windows PowerShell or Linux command line.
Basic familiarity with SQL Databases (e.g. installation and simple querying of Microsoft SQL Server and MySQL)
Experience of Windows Server administration
Familiarity with Windows Desktop
Familiarity with Microsoft Office
Understanding of basic TCP/IP networking, troubleshooting concepts and common ports/services.
You have created a website backed by a database, perhaps using an Open Source Content Management System such as Joomla or WordPress.
Familiarity with source code control systems (e.g. Subversion)
The following experience would be advantageous:
Hosting experience (IIS, Apache, BIND, Java, PHP, ColdFusion, Plesk, CPanel)
High availability and clustering (e.g. Microsoft Hyper-V Clustering)
Firewall configuration and administration (e.g. Cisco ASA devices)
Linux administration and troubleshooting (e.g. Ubuntu, CentOS)
Experience of configuration automation (e.g. PowerShell DSC)
Experience deploying applications within containers (e.g. Docker)
Ability to code in at least one compiled language (e.g. Java)
Experience with Java web servers (e.g. Tomcat)
Experience with Java Microservices (e.g. Spring Boot)
Understanding of XML, SOAP and REST based API concepts
Cloud experience (e.g. Azure)
Working with a continuous integration environment (e.g. Jenkins)
Core Personal and Interpersonal Skills
You are a self-starter with the tenacity to follow incidents through to root cause and not stop at blockers.
You have a logical, analytical, methodical and thorough approach to your work and problem-solving.
You have the ability to effectively communicate (both written and verbal) technical information and risks to both technical and non-technical audiences.
You have a service oriented mind-set and are able to empathise with customers to understand their concerns and issues.
You possess organisational skills to ensure documentation for incidents, changes and knowledgebase articles is completed.
You share knowledge and help your colleagues.
You are a committed, reliable, flexible and 100% trustworthy team-worker.
You are an enthusiastic, methodical programmer and can recognise good quality code.
Benefits of the Job
Permanent position, based in Stafford
22 days holiday + Bank Holidays
Holiday buy/sell scheme
Pension scheme with company contribution
Childcare voucher scheme
Please note that we can only accept applications from candidates who are eligible to work in the UK.
Our policy is to discuss opportunities directly with applicants and recruit directly without the involvement of agencies. Please - responses are requested from direct applicants only, not from agencies