Java Software Engineer
Posted on Jul 12, 2019 by CV-Library
* Acting as a conduit between infrastructure and development teams, being sympathetic to the concerns and priorities of both;
* Primary operational support and engineering for multiple large distributed software applications;
* Primary operational support and engineering for our OpenStack private cloud;
* Improving all aspects of software reliability, including better monitoring, alerting and documentation;
* Engaging with our software engineering teams on support issues and improvements to our tools, processes, and software;
* Gathering and analyzing metrics from both operating systems and applications to assist in performance tuning and fault finding.
* A bachelor’s degree in computer science or another highly technical, scientific discipline.
* In-depth knowledge and experience in at least one of: host based networking, linux/unix administration, systems programming, distributed systems, databases, cloud computing, and a desire to learn more.
* The ability to quickly leverage off the shelf and open source systems and utilities to rapidly provision production systems in a variety of domains, especially for multi-tenant use.
* A proven track record of automation and an algorithmic approach to solving problems.
* A proactive approach to spotting problems, areas for improvement, performance bottlenecks, etc.
* An understanding of the operational concerns in a demanding environment; ideally, but not necessarily, finance.
* The ability to understand the inherent trade-offs between various software architectures as it relates to performance, resiliency/fault tolerance, load balancing, data consistency.
* Ability to profile and debug applications in real time
Additional Skills Preferred:
* Experience with authentication and encryption technologies like SSL, Kerberos and GSSAPI.
* Networking experience, analyzing packet dumps, multicast routing on hosts, packet filtering.
* OS/kernel experience such as familiarity with OS tunables, log analysis.
* Experience with automated configuration management tools like Ansible, Chef, Puppet
* Experience with distributed storage technologies like NFS, HDFS, Ceph, S3 as well as dynamic resource management frameworks (Mesos, Kubernetes, Yarn)