Group Lead, Air Defence RF (HWIL)
Posted on Jul 11, 2019 by CV-Library
Applications are invited for an Image Processing and Computer Vision engineer at MBDA UK Ltd. MBDA is the first truly integrated, multi-national defence company in Europe, enabling the development of missile and weapon systems for each branch of the armed forces: air, sea and land. MBDA’s range of technologies and products consolidates the Group as a world-leader in the defence industry.
A successful candidate will work with a dedicated team of Image Processing and Computer Vision engineers to develop and evaluate state-of-the-art algorithms across a range of imaging modalities. The work will involve researching, developing, testing, evaluating and implementing algorithms that integrate into wider complex weapon systems through both funded internal research & development and fast-moving, challenging projects.
As an Image Processing and Computer Vision engineer you will be expected to collaborate both within the function and the wider MBDA community, offering significant opportunities to be actively involved in a wide variety of projects and tasks. You will develop algorithms that are central to the design of MBDA’s complex guided weapon systems products. These algorithms are developed at many stages of the lifecycle of the product including:
- Research studies, both externally and internally funded, to investigate algorithms for future developments
- Algorithms to support: initial missile feasibility and concept studies; assessment and development programmes; and mid-life updates for in in-service products.
Image Processing and Computer Vision engineers are involved in all stages of the lifecycle and play a key role in many of our product developments.
What we are looking for from you?
- Preferably PhD qualified in related area
- A good level degree with strong mathematical content and programming skills e.g. Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, Computer Science
- A keen interest in cutting-edge technologies
- Relevant experience, Post-Doctoral or Industrial, with computer vision and image processing algorithms, machine/deep learning, real-time implementation, and/or validation & verification is a strong advantage.
- Applications from candidates who are in the process of completing their PhD are also welcome.
As an Image Processing and Computer Vision engineer you will be expected to cultivate a broad and in-depth knowledge across a variety of applicable fields and topics. However specific knowledge or experience in any of these areas is of benefit.
- Image Processing algorithms e.g.
- Segmentation, Filter Design, Noise Reduction, Compression, Image Fusion, Super-Resolution
- Computer Vision algorithms e.g.
- Target Acquisition, Tracking, Optical Flow, Kalman Filtering, Pose Estimation
- Computational Imaging e.g.
- Compressive Sensing, Synthetic Aperture Radar, Doppler Beam Sharpening
- Deep Learning e.g.
- Classification, Detection, Siamese Networks, Residual Learning, Deep Embeddings, Recurrent Networks
- Machine Learning for classification and regression problems e.g.
- Support Vector Machines, Probabilistic Models, Neural Networks
- Domain Specific Signal Processing e.g.
- Multi/Hyper-Spectral, RF, IR, SAR
Ideally you will have some knowledge and experience in.
- Matlab, Simulink and/or Stateflow
- Python including PyTorch, TensorFlow, OpenCV
- Model Based Design
In addition you will.
- be autonomous, pro-active and capable of working on your own initiative with a minimum of supervision, as well as within an algorithm development team working transversally across MBDA
- have an understanding of and an ability to work within defined processes
- have the ability to visualize and analyse complex systems
- have good verbal, presentation and written communication skills
- have practical knowledge of basic systems engineering principles and processes
- be able to work with engineering teams, including in-house and contractor personnel
The Specific Role
- You will be responsible for technical development of specific algorithms or studies for key programmes within MBDA.
- Responsibilities can include concept studies, algorithm design and trade-off studies, trials preparation, trials analysis and reporting, architecture definition, algorithm and model validation.
- You will perform technical analyses and investigations into a full range of issues and problems and prepare and develop solutions either individually or as a member of a project team.
- You will engage with the algorithm users, understand and respond to their needs and ensure that the algorithms are fit for purpose.
What\'s great about this opportunity?
- You will gain in-depth knowledge of the design and functionality of MBDA’s complex weapon systems through your algorithm development work. You will additionally gain insight into a number of related disciplines e.g. Simulation and Modelling, Software, Hardware-in-the Loop, Systems Design & Validation, Seekers & Sensors, Datalinks and Technical Quality.
- You will have the opportunity to work within an international discipline in MBDA.
- You will be exposed to cutting-edge technological innovations.
- You will play a key role in the development of our complex weapon systems.
- You will have the opportunity to develop your career as a technology specialist, or as a functional/project manager.
What’s great about joining this team?
- Has a central role in the concept definition and development of MBDA’s products.
- Gives depth of experience and opportunity to all team members.
- Successful track record in achieving project milestones on time and on budget.
- Stimulating environment and rewarding opportunities.
- Good team spirit and functional identity.
- Frequent exposure to high-profile, fast-paced projects.
- Continuously striving to bring benefits to products through innovation.
Why should you come and work at MBDA?
- MBDA, a world leader in missile and weapon systems, is a multi-national group with over 10,000 employees across France, Germany, Italy, United Kingdom, Spain and United States of America.
- With some of the most sophisticated technology in defence, MBDA is Europe’s leading guided weapons company and with this in mind we continually look to broaden our existing talent base whilst maintaining a strategic edge, by exploiting new markets and new applications for our world-class technology base.
- MBDA’s success is based on the dedication of its employees, and strives to offer each and every employee an enjoyable, challenging and rewarding career.
- The work is complex, challenging and innovative. It takes a range of professionals across the full engineering and commercial spectrum to carry it out. Whatever the field of specialisation, all employees share the same mind-set: a drive to make things work better and to redefine the established standards.
What would you get?
- Competitive salaries, flexible working, paid overtime, subject to level, a contribution-based pension scheme, share incentive plan, discounted private healthcare scheme, sporting activities, fantastic site facilities, bonus schemes, opportunity to travel, and comprehensive training and development opportunities.
MBDA UK require all employees to achieve and maintain SC security clearance or above without restrictions that will inhibit the individual’s ability to fulfil the requirements of the role. Your eligibility for the appropriate level of security clearance may be discussed with you during the recruitment process. Any existing clearance holders may be able to transfer clearance (subject to approval).
Are you a member of LinkedIn? If so, you are invited to join our LinkedIn Group to view future MBDA UK opportunities and news.
LinkedIn Group name: Engineering UK Defence – SC and DV
£18k - £20k Annual
£20 - £25 Hourly
£20.7 - £20.7 Hourly
£40k - £50k Annual