Guidance, Control and Navigation (GCN) Engineer
Posted on Jul 11, 2019 by CV-Library
A vacancy has arisen for an experienced Guidance, Control and Navigation Engineer to become a key member of a dynamic team working on a fast-moving and challenging project. The function has responsibilities for algorithm development and proving in the following domains:
- Autopilots and control systems
- Mid-Course guidance
- Terminal and Homing Guidance
- IIR and RF image and signal processing for target acquisition and tracking
- Propulsion control
- Integrated Navigation, including GPS integration and Terrain Referenced Navigation
- Data fusion
- Command and Control
- Mission Planning algorithms- These algorithms are central to the design and development of MBDA’s complex guided weapon systems products. Algorithms are developed at many stages of the lifecycle of the product including:
- Research studies, both externally and internally funded, to investigate algorithms for future developments
- Algorithms to support initial missile feasibility and concept studies
- Algorithms in support of assessment and development programmes
- GCN Engineers are involved in all stages of the lifecycle and play a central role in our product development.
- This role can include specialist engineering roles within teams with no significant budget or management responsibilities, to full responsibility for small teams and task packages
What will you be doing?
- You will be responsible for the development of specific algorithms or studies to support a key programme within MBDA
- Responsibilities can include concept studies, algorithm design and trade-off studies, trials preparation, trials analysis and reporting, architecture definition, algorithm and model validation
- You will be autonomous and will be able to act as a point of contact for GCN’s interactions with the other project teams e.g. Simulation and Modelling, Software, Hardware-in-the Loop, Systems Design & Validation and Technical Quality
- You will perform technical analyses and investigations into a full range of issues and problems along with preparing and developing solutions either individually or as a member of a project team
- You will engage with the algorithm users, understand and respond to their needs and ensure that the algorithms are fit for their intended use
What are the benefits for you?
- You will gain an in-depth knowledge of the design and functionality of MBDA’s complex weapon systems through your model development work. You will understand how GCN supports our weapon system products and gain insight into a number of related disciplines with whom we have a high level of interactions (e.g. Simulation and Modelling, Software, Hardware-in-the Loop, Systems Design & Validation, Seekers & Sensors, Technical Quality).
- You will play a key role in the development of our complex weapon systems
- You will have the opportunity to work within one of the international functions in MBDA. The GCN Function has team members in two MBDA sites (Bristol and Paris) and has strong links to our MBDA site in Rome
What’s great about joining this team?
- GCN Teams have a central role in the concept definition and development of our products
- GCN Teams work across all MBDA UK products, giving depth of experience and opportunity to all team members
- You will be joining a hard-working team with a successful track record in achieving project milestones on time and on budget.
- A simulating environment with rewarding opportunities
- GCN engineers are generally co-located in function, allowing a good team spirit and functional identity
- Frequent exposure to high-profile, fast-paced projects
- We are continuously improving to bring benefits to the programmes we are involved in. This includes algorithmic approach, processes, methods and toolsets, each of which brings a variety of specific challenges to solve in order to fully exploit new benefits across a wide range of programmes.
What are we looking for from you?
- An appropriate good Degree or Masters with a strong mathematical content e.g. Aerospace Engineering, Control Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Mathematics, Physics
- Relevant experience of applicable algorithms i.e. Guidance, Control, Data Fusion, Navigation, Image Processing.
- Ideally knowledge and experience of some of the following:
- flight dynamics and aerodynamics
- sensors (e.g. IMUs, GPS, RF and IR seekers)
- actuation systems in relation to autopilot design and servo control.
- Ideally knowledge and experience of the following:
- The MathWorks products – specifically Simulink, Embedded MATLAB and Stateflow
- C, FORTRAN and Ada
In addition you will:
- be autonomous and pro-active and be capable of working on your own initiative with a minimum of supervision, as well as within an algorithm development team working transversally with other functions
- have an understanding of and an ability to work within defined processes
- have the ability to visualise and analyse complex systems
- have good verbal, presentation and written communication skills
- have practical knowledge of basic systems engineering principles and processes
- be able to work with engineering teams, including in-house and contractor personnel
- have good understanding of, and good working experience in all phases of the engineering life cycle
We are aware of relevant activities in avionics and aerospace, computer vision, robotics, autonomous systems within the mobile phone industry and within the GNSS industry. We would welcome interest from those domains and others.
Why should you come and work at MBDA?
- MBDA, a world leader in missiles and missile systems, is a multi-national group with 10,000 employees on industrial facilities in France, Germany, Italy, the United Kingdom, , and the United States
- With some of the most sophisticated technology in defence, MBDA is Europe’s leading guided weapons company and with this in mind we continually look to broaden our existing talent base whilst maintaining a strategic edge, by exploiting new markets and new applications for our world-class technology base
- Our success is based on the dedication of our people and we strive to offer each and every employee an enjoyable, challenging and rewarding career
- Our work is complex, challenging and innovative. It takes a range of professionals across the full engineering and commercial spectrum to carry it out. Whatever field our people specialise in, they all share the same mind-set: a drive to make things work better and to redefine the established standards
What would you get?
- Competitive salary, flexible working, paid overtime (subject to level), a comprehensive pension scheme, discounted private healthcare scheme, sporting activities, fantastic site facilities, bonus schemes (subject to level), and superb learning and development opportunities.
Please note that in order to apply for MBDA UK opportunities you will need to be eligible for SC (Secret Level) UK Security Clearance.
Are you a member of LinkedIn? If so, you are invited to join our LinkedIn Group to view future MBDA UK opportunities and news.
LinkedIn Group name: Engineering UK (Defence) – SC and DV
£28k - £35k Annual
£35k - £48k Annual
£50k - £58k Annual
£50k - £60k Annual