Performance Modelling Engineer
Posted on Jul 11, 2019 by CV-Library
Applications are invited for a Performance Modelling engineer at MBDA UK Ltd. MBDA is the first truly integrated defence company in Europe and the only European one able to provided missiles and missile systems for each branch of the armed forces, whether in the air, at sea or in land. MBDA’s range if technologies and product consolidates the Group world leading position in the industry.
The successful candidate will work within a team of engineers who develop and maintain performance models to evaluate and prove complex missile and weapon systems. The function has responsibility for model development and maintenance in the following domains:
- Management of performance models and studies
- Mathematical modelling of high performing dynamic systems (including sub system components and system environment)
- Verification and validation
Simulation and Modelling is involved in all phases of the design and development of MBDA’s complex guided weapon systems products. Models are developed for many purposes throughout the lifecycle of the product and these are at the core of the System Engineering process:
- models to support initial feasibility and concept proving studies.
- models to support design development and trade-off studies.
- models to support ground testing including hardware testing.
- models to support trials programmes, including trials predictions used as part of the fit-to-fire decision and post-trials analysis for detailed trials evaluation.
- full system reference models used to produce formal performance statements to support the certificate of design and design verification processes for the guided weapon system.
- You will be responsible for development of aspects of the performance model to support key programmes within MBDA.
- You will be responsible for their design, implementation, test, reviews and supporting documentation as well as maintaining appropriate design records, ensuring compliance with appropriate quality standards.
- You will be highly autonomous and will be able to act as a point of contact for Simulation and Modelling’s interactions with the other project teams e.g. Guidance Navigation & Control, Software, Hardware-in-the-Loop, Systems Design & Validation and Technical Quality.
- You will be responsible for integration and verification of model components from external suppliers
- You will perform technical analyses and investigations into a full range of issues and problems, and prepare and develop solutions either individually or as a member of a project team.
- You will engage with the model users, understand and respond to their needs and ensure that the model is fit for its intended use.
- You will have the opportunity to influence the design and development of all models developed by Simulation and Modelling.
What’s great about this opportunity?
- You will gain in-depth knowledge of the design and functionality of MBDA’s complex weapon systems through your model development work.
- You will understand how Simulation and Modelling supports our weapon system products and gain insight into a number of related disciplines with whom we have a high level of interactions (e.g. Guidance Navigation & Control, Software, Hardware-in-the Loop, Systems Design & Validation, Seekers & Sensors, and Technical Quality).
- You will gain an in-depth exposure to the Modelling tools and process (such as MATLAB/SIMULINK) have the opportunity to develop relevant skills and apply them in developing large scale models to support MBDA’s portfolio of complex guided weapons products.
- You will have the opportunity to work in an international discipline in MBDA. The Simulation and Modelling Function has team members in three MBDA sites (Bristol, Stevenage and Le Plessis Robinson) and has strong links to our MBDA site in Rome.
What’s great about joining this team?
- Simulation and Modelling have a central role in concept definition and development of our products
- You will be joining a vibrant, hard-working team with a successful track record in achieving project milestones on time and on budget.
- You will be working in a complex and challenging environment which we are continuously improving to bring benefits to a wide range products.
- You will be co-located within the function allowing a good team spirit and functional identity
What are we looking for?
- Ideally degree qualified with preferably a strong Mathematical content
- Exposure to modelling from mathematical specifications
- Ideally knowledge of:
- A good understanding of the modelling process and working within a quality process
- Modelling of dynamic systems
- Modelling of subsystems such as sensors and servo systems
- Requirements Management and Software Management
In addition you will:
- be highly autonomous and pro-active and be capable of working on your own initiative with a minimum of supervision, as well as within a Simulation and Modelling team working transversally with other functions.
- have an understanding of and an ability to work within defined processes.
- have the ability to visualize and analyse complex systems.
- have good verbal, presentation and written communication skills.
- have practical knowledge of basic systems engineering principles and processes.
What would you get?
Competitive salaries, flexible working, paid overtime (subject to level), a comprehensive pension scheme, sporting activities, fantastic site facilities, bonus schemes (subject to level), and superb learning and development opportunities.
Please Note: MBDA UK require all employees to achieve and maintain SC security clearance or above without restrictions that will inhibit the individual’s ability to fulfil the requirements of the role. Your eligibility for the appropriate level of security clearance may be discussed with you during the recruitment process. Any existing clearance holders may be able to transfer clearance (subject to approval).
Are you a member of LinkedIn? If so, you are invited to join our LinkedIn Group to view future MBDA UK opportunities and news.
LinkedIn Group name: Engineering UK (Defence)