Software Project Lead
Posted on Jul 11, 2019 by CV-Library
Are you an experienced software lead who is passionate about providing sovereign capability to the UK armed forces and its allies? This is a fantastic opportunity to nurture software teams and influence the success of the growing Test Software department in MBDA UK.
The Test Software department is tasked with supplying software into a full range of test solutions, from overall Missile test to Board test plus Simulators and Field Support equipment.
We are looking for a highly collaborative Software Project Lead who can connect with the multi-disciplined project environments that we work in. These project environments include mechanical and electronic design engineers in addition to the software design and development engineers that you will be leading.
In this role you will be:
- Responsible for the design development and delivery of software for a number of test equipment systems;
- Leading and nurturing a team of professional engineers that are specialists in test equipment software;
- Working together with the Group Lead and the software architect to ensure consistency and technical excellence in the software produced;
- Ensuring that the principles of design for modularity and re-use are applied effectively and efficiently;
- Ensuring application of software development plans and configuration control in accordance with a strategic approach across the group;
- Working collaboratively with the Test Equipment Design Authority, the Design Authority for the Unit Under Test (UUT) and the end user to ensure clear and concise requirements are in place to allow optimal solutions to be delivered.
What’s in it for you?
- Working with a talented team of software engineers with the opportunity to nurture and influence change;
- Working in a department supporting the whole product portfolio throughout the engineering lifecycle and interacting with a range of other engineering disciplines will give you the platform to broaden your engineering/leadership skills and knowledge;
- We work closely with our colleagues across the UK and in France and Italy, so there may be the opportunity to travel both within the UK and to our sites in France and Italy. We also have a secondment scheme between France and the UK;
- A supportive and inclusive working environment enabling you to develop and grow your career in a company with expanding horizons.
What’s great about the team?
- Test solutions are delivered by a multi-disciplined dynamic, focussed and agile team of about 100 engineers specialising in all aspects of Test Solution design, including hardware, software and embedded real-time systems. These skills are co-located providing an atmosphere of supportive cooperation and interdependence whose strengths are well placed to face the challenges of the future.
What are we looking for?
We are looking for an experienced software team leader or a software engineer with significant, relevant, software development experience. You should:
- have the ability to nurture and manage a team of typically 6-10 software developers;
- be able to communicate and collaborate effectively to people at all levels in the company across a range of mediums;
- have experience in working in a high technology environment where the quality and accuracy of work is essential;
- understand requirements and available design solutions so that you can produce accurate and cost effective estimates of work to be undertaken;
- be comfortable providing regular reports to demonstrate progress achieved and to confidently deliver software solutions to time, cost and quality;
- have broad understanding and practical experience of software and the software development process to be able to provide effective management oversight;
- have a good understanding of technology used in the test equipment and the unit under test to enable correct choices to be made when needed;
- have project management skills to ensure good planning, delivery and cost control of software developed in the team;
It would be an advantage if you have:
- an understanding of standard communications and test equipment interfaces;
- experience in influencing product test strategy;
- experience in Agile/Scrum;
- software configuration management experience using RTC.
What would you get?
- Competitive salaries, flexible working, paid overtime (subject to level), a comprehensive pension scheme, an employee funded voluntary private healthcare scheme, sporting activities, fantastic site facilities, bonus schemes (subject to level) and superb learning and development opportunities.
Please note that in order to apply for MBDA UK opportunities you will need to be eligible for SC (Secret Level) UK Security Clearance without restrictions
Are you a member of LinkedIn? If so, you are invited to join our LinkedIn Group to view future MBDA UK opportunities and news