PLC Controls Engineer / Electrical Design Engineer
Posted on Jul 4, 2019 by CV-Library
Reporting to: Head of Engineering
Location: Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire
Package: £30-35K, depending on experience
About the the Opportunity
Our client manufactures aqueous washing machines for engineering components. Our customers include leading engineering organisations from around the world, such as RR, JCB, SKF, Delphi, Goodrich & McLaren. The wash machines are typically manufactured to a customer’s specification, which may include extensive tailoring, hence each is “one off” to some degree.
Many of the fabrications, components and electrical panels used in the machines are subcontracted out, so the operations focus on design, sourcing and assembly. Consequently accurate and timely design work is critical to our success. The design team currently comprises four staff, three machine / fixture designers and one electrical designer / PLC programmer.
In outline the role is to provide design and programming support to meet the company’s requirements.
Electrical Panel design
- Attend design meetings/reviews of new/revised design proposals
- Prepare layout drawings, design documents (power usage, loads) and specifications
- Improve and update existing designs to ensure the design meets all relevant health and safety requirement & compliance with European directives
- Create CAD drawings using Engineering Base software and co-ordinate the design with other parties
- Prepare drawings for sub-contractors both in UK and overseas, carry out liaison work with sub-contractors including resolving issues in the design and its interpretation.
- Prepare process / ladder diagrams for programming requirements
- PLC programming typically using Siemens TIA Portal (V13 and above) and S7 1200 series PLC
- Program revisions & upgrades
- Documentation and version control of programs
- Ensure programming software appropriate and up to date
- Provide input and advice to the manufacturing / commissioning teams during build and installation of the project on-site
- Using remote access to PLCs/HMIs to provide diagnostic support to service engineers.
Qualifications & experience
- Academic qualifications of minimum HND, potentially a degree in engineering
- Engineering design experience, ideally in a machine build environment or similar capacity requiring a broad engineering knowledge
- An excellent grasp of engineering and design principles
- Familiarity with pneumatics, electric motors & electronic control systems
- 5 years minimum experience with PLC programming
- Experience of programming Siemens essential
- Experience of programming Rockwell (Allen Bradley) preferable
- Knowledge of relevant electrical / machine regulations & directives
- Experience in Machine Building would be advantageous
- General computer literacy including Outlook, Excel and Word.
The candidate must be strongly analytical and have good attention to detail, yet also have the ability to develop creative solutions. They must be self motivated, driven to delivering results and be willing to demonstrate the personal commitment necessary in a small specialist team. They must take personal pride in delivering excellence to our customers.
A good communicator, willing to listen and learn, the candidate must be comfortable working in a small / medium company environment, without the bureaucracy or support found in large organisations