Head of Financial Accounting
Posted on Jul 2, 2019 by CV-Library
Today Mears is one of the UK’s leading service providers to both the public and private sector with over 12,000 employees, working with clients to help develop, fund their placemaking ambitions.
Mears Group’s vision is to make a positive difference to the people we serve by improving homes, improving communities and improving lives. We do this by developing outstanding partnerships with employees, clients, tenants, customers, their families and the wider community. We are looking for people who can help us deliver on our values, fulfil our future ambitions and their own.
Mears Group is currently searching for a Head of Financial Accounting to be responsible for the day to day management of the accounting for the Group based at our Head Office in Gloucester. This is a hugely varied and exciting role with a chance to influence and drive change and make a positive difference to the Group as a whole.
* High level month end adjustments and reporting, including posting of regular adjustments and preparation of consolidation. Reviewing of high level finance numbers to identify issues to either resolve or escalate.
* Managing the preparation of subsidiary accounts, with assistance from the Reporting team. This includes understanding and implementing changes in accounting standards.
* Liaising with the Group’s auditors including answering queries, preparing schedules and managing responses from other areas of Finance.
* Taking active responsibility for various payment decisions. This will cover directly authorising payments as well as assessing payment requests against Group policies and procedures.
* Dealing with the Group’s bankers as a key point of contract for the relationship teams.
* Addressing ad hoc reporting and queries from across the business.
The role will have no direct reports, however as part of the Senior Finance Team the post holder will be expected to task manage a number of people on an informal basis to ensure completion of specific tasks.
Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications and Experience
* A professional accountancy qualification (ACA or ACCA)
* Demonstrable experience working independently on complex accounting tasks with the ability to use own initiative to solve problems and see tasks through to completion.
* Good knowledge of UK financial reporting
* Demonstrable experience in the use of spreadsheets/ reporting to identify and resolve problems. The ability to learn new software and systems.
* Experienced in the use of Microsoft Excel.
* Demonstrable experience of working collaboratively with others.
* Adaptable to changing circumstances and able to change styles to suit different requirements, people and situations.
* Demonstrable experience of planning, prioritising and consistently delivering work to a high standard and by the required deadline.
* Able to use discretion, good attention to detail and maintain confidentiality as appropriate.
* Experience managing a team of finance staff, either in-house or in practice.
* Strong Excel knowledge with the ability to manipulate data.
* Demonstrable ability to coach others to help them reach their full potential.
What you get in return:
Mears Group strive in career progression therefore there will be many opportunities to partake in Training and Development programmes opening more career prospects across our 8 housing departments across the UK managing 11,000 homes.
At Mears we want to take care of our employees, that's why we have a benefits site called Mears Rewards exclusively for all our employees. This site has hundreds of savings at popular retailers as well as an important Employee Assistant Programme, to take care of your wellbeing. You could save up to £1,000 a year with the variety of offers we have at Mears Rewards, from Tesco to Thomas Cook there really is a saving for everyone that can make your money go further.
* 25 Days Annual leave plus bank holidays
* Family Fun Day
* Pension and Life assurance
Apply and take the first step on your journey with us today
£12 - £13 Hourly
£34k - £34k Annual
£25k - £35k Annual
£25k - £32k Annual