Senior Mechanical Design Engineer
Posted on Jul 2, 2019 by CV-Library
My client specialise in automated solutions for the materials handling industry, and are looking to expand their mechanical design department.
If you would like to discuss more of this role, apply, and one of our specialist consultants will be in touch!
* Takes the lead for the mechanical design aspects of a project that includes techniques for low volume production; i.e. milling, turning, fabricated frameworks, sheet metal fabrication etc.
* Leads design discussions and design reviews and contributes constructively to design proposals for gold level projects.
* Demonstrates a good level of knowledge in the design of pneumatic systems and a basic understanding of Hydraulic systems.
* Has expertise in the design of small mechanisms, using motors, pneumatics, or other electrical actuators and defining test specifications. Experience in testing/verification of designs is also an advantage
* Demonstrates the ability to produce designs that meets cost targets, project schedules and requirement specifications as defined by the project.
* Has a proven track record of success for designing and implementing reliable product designs that meet tight cost targets and deadlines.
* Utilises a natural ability for mechanical fault finding and root cause analysis for design verification and debugging. Can demonstrate practical skills for building prototypes and light mechanical assembly work.
* To support the business in identifying functional assemblies and standard mechanisms to drive eficiencies across the mechanical design department
* Employs expertise in the design for high reliability, ease of manufacture, ease of assembly and serviceability
* Has expertise in the use of 3D CAD design software (ideally SolidWorks), ability to produce 2d Autocad/Draftsight Layout drawings from 3D and knowledge of related drawing control systems, for mechanical assemblies and parts.
* A working knowledge of stress analysis tools is an advantage.
* Understanding achievable tolerances, tolerance stack-up and material choice suitability is requirement.
* Knowledge of advanced manufacturing techniques and a willingness to keep abreast of advancements in all aspects of engineering
* Able to chair formal DFMA session for mechanical assemblies at key stages of the project and issue follow-up actions and reports
* Knowledge of precision measurement equipment to verify parts and designs and diagnose issues with electro-mechanical systems using; Mechanical measurement tools and gauges, computerised measurement tools and optical inspection equipment.
* At a technical level, is able to mentor and assign work packages to any Mechanical or Junior Mechanical Engineers within the team
* Skills and Experience
* The Senior Mechanical Design Engineer will be expected to confidently communicate to the wider project team on design choices and progress; interact with customers, sub-contractors and suppliers and lead to internal and external design reviews
* The Mechanical Design Engineer will be expected to be able to create technical documentation, technical reports and manufacturing documentation.
* Knowledge and Expertise
* Relevant Engineering degree - Mechanical Engineering preferred. Degree equivalent qualification will be considered.
* Minimum 7 years post qualification mechanical design engineering experience.
* Significant hands on exposure to the design of electro-mechanical systems in an industrial, automotive or aerospace environment.
* Demonstrates a good understanding at a systems level and considers Electrical Controls, reliability and maintenance requirements
* Must have proficient knowledge of common office software programs including; Word, Excel and Outlook.
* Understanding technical specifications.
* Generation of concepts with other cross-functional team members.
* Selection of concepts with other cross-functional team members.
* Failure analysis including root cause analysis.
* Detailed design including materials selection.
* If you would like to find out more about this role, then please apply now, or call (phone number removed) for more info!
* * Please note due to the nature of the clients business we are unable to process any applications from those who have applied from outside of the UK. To apply for this role, you must hold the right to work in the UK. Any applications from those who do not hold the right to work in the UK will be discarded without feedback. Due to the volume of applications, feedback will only be applicable to those who have reached interview stage. If you have not heard from us within 5 business days then please assume you were unsuccessful on this occasion.
Proactive Technical Recruitment is committed to equality in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer.
Proactive Technical Recruitment is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy
£36k - £42k Annual
£0 - £0 Annual
£45k - £50k Annual
£40k - £50k Annual
£40k - £50k Annual
£50k - £50k Annual
£40k - £55k Annual