Mechanical Design Engineer
Posted on Jun 24, 2019 by CV-Library
At Smiths Interconnect we provide technically differentiated electronic components, subsystems, microwave and radio frequency products, continuously working together to make Smiths one of the world’s leading technology companies.
We have a rare opportunity at our office in Elstree, Hertfordshire for a Mechanical Design Engineer to join our innovative and friendly engineering team.
Why should you be interested in this role?:
* This role provides the opportunity to join a team that is fundamental to the success of Smiths Interconnect.
* You will have global exposure, and the opportunity to start building a rewarding engineering career.
* Our global scale and focus on growth means we have great career opportunities. In fact, this team has recently seen two members make internal moves to progress and enhance their careers within the Smiths Group.
What experience are we looking for?:
* This may be your first role since graduating University, or you may be an experienced Mechanical Design Engineer. We’re flexible on your level of experience for this role, with an emphasis on a positive can-do attitude and strong work ethic.
* It is essential that you are proficient in all aspects of 3D and 2D design tools. You may have gained this experience in the workplace; however, we recognise that this knowledge and experience may have been gained at university.
* We need an effective communicator, who makes commitments and delivers on promises.
* You will be part of an experienced and supportive team, but at times you will need to be able to work independently with minimal supervision following given procedures and directions.
* Understanding the manufacturing processes including machining, molding and assembly techniques. Although, we will support your learning and development, now and throughout your career with us.
* Ability to perform Root Cause Analysis utilizing standard problem solving tools and methodologies is also important but if you’ve not done this before we will support you.
* Knowledge of material properties and the ability to undertake materials selection activities.
What will a typical day involve?:
* You will be responsible for creating full manufacturing information for new products with generation of associated supporting documentation such as tolerance studies, FMEA, DFM, FEA and design reviews.
* Correct interpretation of customer specifications and requirements enabling generation of technical proposals.
* Explore new technologies appropriate for continual development.
* Provide general technical assistance to the global operations teams, sub-contractors and suppliers and to the sales activity to win new business and support existing business.
* Create and maintain design information to ISO standards.
* Develops technology and process know-how to ensure designs are technologically competitive.
* Participate and contribute to team training, development, mentoring and audits.
Who are we?
Smiths Interconnect provides high-speed, secure connectivity solutions that can perform at extremes of pressure and temperature. Our microwave technology is used to keep military radar systems online while our antenna solutions are installed across aircraft and space applications to enhance communications. Innovative cable solutions increase signaling functionality in autonomous transport systems and augmented reality and surgical robotics are made possible with connectors that increase bandwidth and data rates. Customers rely on Smiths Interconnect for mission-critical connectivity in the harshest environments.
Our blue-chip customers include Raytheon, Lockheed Martin, BAE Systems, Huawei, NVIDIA and Biosense Webster.
One of five divisions of Smiths Group, Smiths Interconnect employs over 2000 people. We have a global presence selling our products in over 50 countries with manufacturing facilities in nine countries and offices across North America, Europe and Asia
£35k - £37k Annual
£30k - £37k Annual
£30k - £45k Annual
£32k - £38k Annual
£30k - £38k Annual
£45k - £50k Annual
£28k - £35k Annual
£45k - £50k Annual