Principal Control & Instrumentation Engineer
Posted on Jun 20, 2019 by CV-Library
The role will involve technical leadership and mentoring of the team including graduates. It will also involve the day to day leadership of an assigned team at project level to profitably and successfully deliver projects as part of a multidisciplinary team.
Job Role & Responsibilities (include but not limited to)
* Accountable for the planning and execution of our instrumentation and control engineering services and solutions with customers across feasibility, outline and detailed design engineering.
* Produce I/O, Instrumentation & Control Cable, Alarm and Cause & Effect Schedules, Instrument Index and data sheets, Hook up & Loop drawings, Control philosophy development, User Requirement Specifications, System Architecture design, Fieldbus Design, Instrumentation and Scope/Specification documents, Functional Design Specifications (reviews), routing and cabling containment designs, Electrical & DSEAR calculations.
* General engineering design.
* Site visits and data collection.
* Assist with delivering design and general engineering projects for the department and operations.
* Provide support with bids and proposal documents as required by the Head of Department or Proposal/Bid Manager.
* Provide technical guidance and checking of the engineers work within the department.
* Technical management of instrumentation and system integration vendors and sub-contractors.
* Ensure project deliverables comply with appropriate design codes and legislation.
* To effectively manage time, cost and quality of project deliverables to meet client and company requirements.
* Maintain and develop excellent customer relationships at all times, focusing on a consultative and collaborative approach to engineering services and solutions.
* Conduct all tasks and work in line with contract, regulatory requirements and internal policy processes.
Qualifications & Experience
* Hold a Bachelor’s degree in related engineering field (e.g. instrumentation & Control Engineering). Alternatively a HNC or HND with appropriate experience may be considered for the position.
* A Chartered Engineer with IET or working towards this.
* Possess a thorough level of experience in control and instrumentation specification & design engineering work.
* Fieldbus technology (Profibus DP and Modbus RTU) design knowledge.
* Proven experience in reviewing vendor submissions and managing suppliers.
* Some experience of programming/configuration of PLC/DCS systems.
* Design experience for DSEAR classified areas.
* Good practical knowledge and design experience of LV cabling design for industrial applications is preferred, including use of Amtech Pro LV design package.
* Functional safety specification and design experience would be advantageous.
* S88 batch process control experience would be highly desirable.
* Display a professional approach and demeanour towards tasks and others.
* Possess a strong ethical approach to safety, quality, environmental protection and business.
* Demonstrable ability to communicate effectively with clients and peers at all levels.
* Be flexible and adaptable to meet the demands of the role.
* Possess excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
* Display a positive outlook and approachable manner.
* Be well motivated, able to work as part of a team or in independently when required