Medical Technologist -Brunswick Campus - (FT) 08134a
Posted on Jun 14, 2019 by Southeast Georgia Health System
Summary: Performs a variety of chemical microscopic and bacteriologic tests, procedures and related duties. All team members of Southeast Georgia Health System will promote a culture of safety, follow established policies, and adhere to all state and federal regulatory requirements, Joint Commission requirements, and national patient safety standards.
The Medical Technologist performs the following essential responsibilities:
- Performs proficiency testing in the same manner as patient samples.
- Must exercise independent judgment to perform and report findings proficiently for clinical laboratory tests to obtain data for use in diagnosis and treatment of disease.
- Actively participates in compliance of accreditation and regulatory standards (CAP, CLIA 88, GDHR) which relate to all areas of the laboratory.
- Assists with special projects (health fairs, correlations) and in training phlebotomists and MT/MLT students.
- Uses quality control samples to verify accuracy and precision of test results and adheres to the laboratory's policies.
- Follows the laboratory's procedures for specimen collection, labeling handling, transport and processing.
- Performs instrument and procedural calibrations and maintenance as required or indicated.
- Performs test procedures, identifying problems that may adversely affect test performance or reporting of test results. Corrects the problems or seeks guidance from the Director/Manager of Laboratory Services, Laboratory Medical Director, Team Coordinator or designee for problem resolution.
- Reports and maintains laboratory results utilizing written procedure and policy guidelines.
- Effectively operates all computer systems and functions associated with them to include order entry, resulting, error correction and applicable billing and auditing processes.
- Works flexible hours to include weekends and holidays.
The ideal Medical Technologist candidate should possess the following minimum qualifications:
- Bachelor of Science Degree with Medical Technologist (MT) Classification, Associate of Science Degree with MT classification or MT classification as recognized by Georgia Department of Human Resources (GDHR) laboratory licensure agency.
- Completion of Laboratory Clinical Rotation
- Must hold current licensure from at least one of the following agencies: MT(ASCP), MT(AMT), CLT(HHS), RMT(AAB)
- New team members meeting education and experience requirements have 18 months from date of hire or transfer to successfully complete the certification exam.
- Must be competent in skills and abilities for laboratory testing personnel. Good manual dexterity and multi-tasking abilities, good keyboard skills, good clerical support skills.
Service Excellence: All team members of Southeast Georgia Health System will promote service excellence by developing and maintaining positive relationships with customers, other team members, and the medical staff and will ensure the highest quality of care by performing their responsibilities according to the highest professional standards.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or national origin. EOE/AA: M/F/D/V