SIMON | Project Engineer-Sterling, CO
Posted on Jun 14, 2019 by Colas
What we do is bigger than construction. It is about connecting communities, building new roads to the future, and keeping the spirit of the pioneers alive and well.
Simon specializes in aggregates, asphalt and ready-mix concrete production, asphalt paving, and concrete, bridge, highway, and utility construction. Simon has strong local ties backed by global resources, focusing on quality and value to deliver the best products and services for our clients.
Assists in reading and interpreting plans and proposals to help prepare bids, budgets, schedules, contracts, and material orders; as well as analyzing job costs and assisting in the coordination of construction projects.
The ideal candidate will have a bachelor's degree in a related field and at least 1-2 years of experience in heavy highway, municipal, and/or commercial construction. Successful Project Engineers will enjoy working in both the office and field assisting project managers and project superintendents with coordination of all stages of the construction process, and thrive on working against deadlines in a changing environment.
• Promote safety of all operations in assigned area; actively involved in continuously improving safety processes
• Read and analyze information to plan operations for construction on basis of starting and completion times as well as staffing requirements for each phase of the project
• Order procurement of equipment and materials to be delivered at specified times to conform with work schedules
• Assist with coordination and directing of supervisory personnel and subcontractors that are engaged in planning and executing work procedures, interpreting specifications, and coordinating various phases of construction
• Assist with preparation and maintenance of project schedules, budget, monthly projections, submittals, purchase orders and materials
• Assist with coordination between supervisors, engineering personnel, inspectors, and/or suppliers of tools to resolve construction problems and improve construction methods
• Assist with inspections of work to ensure that craftsmanship conforms to specifications and adherence to construction schedules
• Provide improvement recommendations to cost estimating procedures to reduce future discrepancies between estimated and actual costs
• Assist with daily job costing and inventory tracking on assigned projects
• Complete special projects and other duties as assigned
Qualifications, Education, Skills and Experience:
• Bachelor's Degree in Construction Management, Civil Engineering or a related field, or equivalent combination of education and work experience required
• 1-2 years of experience in heavy highway, municipal, and/or commercial construction preferred
• Proficiency in MS Office Programs (Word, Outlook, Excel)
• Valid driver's license and clean driving history required
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions:
• Wear and maintain personal protective equipment (PPE) as required by company safety guidelines
• Regularly required to lift and /or move up to 50 pounds with or without assistance
• Regularly required to use hands to feel, handle and manipulate objects
• Regularly required to communicate (talk and hear)
• Frequently required to stand, walk, sit, reach with hands and arms, and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl
• Frequently required to Stand/work on feet for long periods, and walking across uneven terrain
• Frequently work in close proximity to heavy equipment and machinery, exposure to loud noise
• Frequent exposure to typical construction site conditions, including dust and loud noise, and all weather conditions
Workplace Values Requirements:
• Support, promote, and practice Simon core values, vision, and mission
• Support, promote, and comply with Simon Code of Ethics, Workplace Conduct, Safety, and other established policies at all times
• Embrace the Company's safety culture, actively support all safety initiatives, and adhere to defined accountabilities implemented by the Safety Steering and Continuous Improvement teams
• Align personal vision and goals with larger goals of the Company
• Support continuous improvement to improve Simon processes, performance, safety, and overall success
The information contained herein is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the job, nor are they intended to be an all-inclusive list of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Management may, at its discretion, assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Simon is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action Employer dedicated to promoting diversity and maintaining a drug-free workplace. It is our policy to ensure that applicants are considered for employment based on their qualifications without regard to their race, religion (including religious dress and grooming practices), creed, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expressions, sexual orientation, color, national origin, ancestry, age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), immigration status, citizenship, genetic information, medical conditions, protected veteran status, uniform service member status, familial status, marital status, registered domestic partner status or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. Applicants are treated on the basis of their job-related qualifications, ability and performance. We are committed to equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants and provide a workplace free of harassment and discrimination. This Policy applies to aspects of employment including recruitment, hiring, training and development, promotion, termination, compensation, benefits, and all other terms and conditions of employment in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws. For more information about your EEO rights as an applicant, please click here and here . For notification on E-Verify click here and for information on Right to Work, click here. We are a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
If you need accommodation to access the information provided on this website, please contact Simon at or send an e-mail to: .
Simon will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants. For more information, please click here .