SIMON | Accountant-Cheyenne, WY
Posted on Jun 14, 2019 by Colas
Honesty, pride, respect-these are the values the pioneers of the frontier West lived by. Over 100 years later, they are the same values that drive Simon today. It is a way of working-the right way-that has stood the test of time, and allowed us to help shape the landscape since 1954.
What we do is bigger than construction. It is about connecting communities, building new roads to the future, and keeping the spirit of the pioneers alive and well.
Simon specializes in aggregates, asphalt and ready-mix concrete production, asphalt paving, and concrete, bridge, highway, and utility construction. Simon has strong local ties backed by global resources, focusing on quality and value to deliver the best products and services for our clients.
Applies principles of accounting to analyze financial information and prepare financial reports.
• Compiles and analyzes financial information to prepare entries to accounts, such as general ledger accounts, documenting business transactions
• Distributes expenditures, encumbrances, receipts, and receivables according to schedules
• Performs statistical analyses to determine trends, estimates, and significant changes, and writes narrative reports explaining findings
• Analyzes financial information detailing assets, liabilities, and capital, and prepares balance sheet, profit and loss statement, and other reports to summarize and interpret current and projected company financial position for other managers
• Audits contracts, orders, and vouchers, and prepares reports to substantiate individual transactions prior to settlement.
• Determines proper handling of financial transactions and approves transactions within designated limits
• Monitors compliance with generally accepted accounting principles and company procedures
• Reviews, investigates, and corrects errors and inconsistencies in financial entries, documents, and reports
• Makes recommendations regarding the accounting of reserves, assets, and expenditures
• Conducts studies and submits recommendations for improving the organization's accounting operation
• Collects appropriate data and prepares federal, state, and local reports and tax returns
• Prepares and processes accounts payable
Qualifications, Education, Skills and Experience:
• Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Business, Finance, related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience required
• 3 years of accounting experience preferred; construction-related experience a plus
• Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community
• Ability to apply accounting concepts such as debits, credits, reconciliation, discounts, interest, commissions, analysis, etc.
• Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with abstract and concrete variables.
• Demonstrated knowledge and skill using spreadsheet and accounting software (JD Edwards, JWS, etc.); payroll systems; and database software
• Valid driver's license and ability to maintain a clean driving history
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions:
• Most work performed in an office environment; quiet to moderate noise level
• Occasionally required to lift and /or move up to 35 pounds
• Regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel
• Regularly required to communicate (talk and hear)
• Sitting for long periods (up to 8 hours or more) at a desk using a computer; with intermittent breaks
• Occasionally required to stand and walk, reach with hands and arms and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; visiting work sites may require walking over uneven terrain and some exposure to dust, chemicals and loud noise
• Some travel with overnight stays away from home may be required
Workplace Values Requirements:
• Support, promote, and practice Simon core values, vision, and mission
• Support, promote, and comply with Simon Code of Ethics, Workplace Conduct, Safety, and other established policies at all times
• Embrace the Company's safety culture, actively support all safety initiatives, and adhere to defined accountabilities implemented by the Safety Steering and Continuous Improvement teams
• Align personal vision and goals with larger goals of the Company
• Support continuous improvement to improve Simon processes, performance, safety, and overall success
The information contained herein is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the job, nor are they intended to be an all-inclusive list of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Management may, at its discretion, assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time .
Simon is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action Employer dedicated to promoting diversity and maintaining a drug-free workplace. It is our policy to ensure that applicants are considered for employment based on their qualifications without regard to their race, religion (including religious dress and grooming practices), creed, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expressions, sexual orientation, color, national origin, ancestry, age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), immigration status, citizenship, genetic information, medical conditions, protected veteran status, uniform service member status, familial status, marital status, registered domestic partner status or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. Applicants are treated on the basis of their job-related qualifications, ability and performance. We are committed to equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants and provide a workplace free of harassment and discrimination. This Policy applies to aspects of employment including recruitment, hiring, training and development, promotion, termination, compensation, benefits, and all other terms and conditions of employment in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws. For more information about your EEO rights as an applicant, please click here and here . For notification on E-Verify click here and for information on Right to Work, click here. We are a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
If you need accommodation to access the information provided on this website, please contact Simon at or send an e-mail to: .
Simon will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants. For more information, please click here .