SIMON | Mobile Bridge Crews - Carpenters/Operators/Laborers
Posted on Jun 14, 2019 by Colas
Honesty, pride, respect-these are the values the pioneers of the frontier West lived by. Over 100 years later, they are the same values that drive Simon today. It is a way of working-the right way-that has stood the test of time, and allowed us to help shape the landscape since 1954.
What we do is bigger than construction. It is about connecting communities, building new roads to the future, and keeping the spirit of the pioneers alive and well.
Simon specializes in aggregates, asphalt and ready-mix concrete production, asphalt paving, and concrete, bridge, highway, and utility construction. Simon has strong local ties backed by global resources, focusing on quality and value to deliver the best products and services for our clients.
This is a multi-position posting with opportunities available for qualified individuals to fill roles as laborers, equipment operators, and carpenters on mobile bridge crews for awarded bridge construction projects in the Lexington, NE area. Project start date is April 2019; expected project completion is in 2020. Project work is seasonal, and subject to weather conditions and other factors.
Individuals hired for this project will be considered for continued employment on mobile bridge teams beyond project completion based on performance and business operational needs. Individuals need not reside in the Lexington area, and may be eligible for per diem in addition to competitive base pay and benefits.
Highly qualified candidates will have prior experience in bridge construction, concrete paving operations, or related areas. Successful candidates should enjoy working on a seasonal basis, and be willing to learn multiple skills/disciplines, related to heavy equipment operation, carpentry, and concrete finishing. Work on mobile bridge crews requires the ability to travel extensively with overnight stays away from home for extended periods of time, and willingness to work in all types of weather conditions.
In addition to an industry-leading safety record, and multiple options for year-round employee and family benefits programs, these positions offer growth opportunity and a chance to work in a dynamic environment as part of a large construction organization backed by global resources.
Summary: Performs work related to bridge construction, including site preparation, structural carpentry, concrete finishing, and paving operations.
• Support the Simon safety culture and other Company strategic initiatives
• Safely operate vehicles, hand/power tools, and equipment within scope of assigned work
• Assist with minor equipment and vehicle maintenance and cleaning
• Direct movement of traffic through site, using, signs, hands and flag signals
• Maintain clean and organized working areas
• Work closely with other skilled laborers, operators, and craft workers to perform a variety of tasks required to complete assigned projects
• Engage in multiple forms of physical labor necessary for completion of assigned projects
• Operate heavy equipment, including, but not limited to, loaders, backhoes, skid steers, excavators, and other mobile equipment used in completion of construction projects and/or in support of construction operations
• Perform minor equipment maintenance inspections such as greasing, checking oil and fluids
• Perform concrete form work and flatwork using a variety of forming systems including Snap Tie, Symons, and Doka
• Build form components on site to construct structure components including footings, columns, pier caps, deck overhangs and parapets
• Assist in decking, form work, and falsework at heights requiring fall protection
• Assist in curb and sidewalk installation including grade and layout
Qualifications, Education, Skills and Experience:
• High school diploma or equivalent preferred
• Previous experience in concrete paving, bridge construction, or other construction-related field preferred
• Valid drivers' license with ability to maintain a clean driving history required
• Basic First Aid and CPR certifications or the ability to become certified required
• Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals
• At least 1-2 years of related experience and/or training in operation of heavy equipment operation preferred
• At least 1 to 2 years of experience in building/bridge construction and/or a related field preferred
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions:
• Wears and maintains personal protective equipment (PPE) as required by Company safety guidelines
• Regularly required to lift and /or move up to 50 pounds with or without assistance
• Regularly required to use hands to move and manipulate objects
• Regularly required to communicate (talk and hear)
• Frequently required to stand; walk; sit; reach with hands and arms and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl
• Standing/working on feet for long periods, and walking across uneven terrain
• Frequent exposure to loud noise
• Frequent exposure to typical construction site conditions, including dust and loud noise, and all weather conditions
• Regularly exposed to fuel, oil, and other chemicals
• Required to work varying hours, including nights/weekends
• Extensive travel with overnight stays away from home required
Workplace Values Requirements:
• Support, promote, and practice Simon core values, vision, and mission
• Support, promote, and comply with Simon Code of Ethics, Workplace Conduct, Safety, and other established policies at all times
• Embrace the Company's safety culture, actively support all safety initiatives, and adhere to defined accountabilities implemented by the Safety Steering and Continuous Improvement teams
• Align personal vision and goals with larger goals of the Company
• Support continuous improvement to improve Simon processes, performance, safety, and overall success
The information contained herein is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the job, nor are they intended to be an all-inclusive list of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Management may, at its discretion, assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Simon is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action Employer dedicated to promoting diversity and maintaining a drug-free workplace. It is our policy to ensure that applicants are considered for employment based on their qualifications without regard to their race, religion (including religious dress and grooming practices), creed, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expressions, sexual orientation, color, national origin, ancestry, age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), immigration status, citizenship, genetic information, medical conditions, protected veteran status, uniform service member status, familial status, marital status, registered domestic partner status or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. Applicants are treated on the basis of their job-related qualifications, ability and performance. We are committed to equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants and provide a workplace free of harassment and discrimination. This Policy applies to aspects of employment including recruitment, hiring, training and development, promotion, termination, compensation, benefits, and all other terms and conditions of employment in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws. For more information about your EEO rights as an applicant, please click here and here . For notification on E-Verify click here and for information on Right to Work, click here. We are a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
If you need accommodation to access the information provided on this website, please contact Simon at or send an e-mail to: .
Simon will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants. For more information, please click here .