SIMON | Director of Human Resources
Posted on Jun 14, 2019 by Colas
Honesty, pride, respect-these are the values the pioneers of the frontier West lived by. Over 100 years later, they are the same values that drive Simon today. It is a way of working-the right way-that has stood the test of time, and allowed us to help shape the landscape since 1954.
What we do is bigger than construction. It is about connecting communities, building new roads to the future, and keeping the spirit of the pioneers alive and well.
Simon specializes in aggregates, asphalt and ready-mix concrete production, asphalt paving, and concrete, bridge, highway, and utility construction. Simon has strong local ties backed by global resources, focusing on quality and value to deliver the best products and services for our clients.
The Human Resources Director leads the Human Resources objectives and practices for Simon, including multiple regions (Colorado, Nebraska, South Dakota, Wyoming) in functional areas including but not limited to, talent management, talent acquisition, talent development and leadership development. The Human Resources Director develops and implements people-related services, policies, programs and HR processes and metrics to ensure compliance and to measure achievement of the organization's business goals. Position is based in Cheyenne, WY with travel to other business units in geographic scope of responsibility.
• Partner with senior management in the development of Simon's people strategies and programs with regard to their impact on workforce planning, incorporating the vision, values, safety culture and strategic direction of the organization
• Establish and implement HR departmental goals, objectives, policies and priorities for continuous improvement in efficiency of the department and services performed
• Engage regularly with business unit and regional staff (office, field, administrative, and financial), providing feedback to senior management for pro-active intervention and resolution of people-related concerns
• Oversee and direct the development and administration of the Human Resources Department annual budget
• Develop hiring strategies in coordination with regional management teams, department heads, and hiring managers
• Support and oversee recruiting efforts to attract the industry's best and brightest candidates; collaborate with hiring managers and operational leaders to assess needs, identify and cultivate effective and appropriate sources for top quality, diverse talent, oversee related processes, provide guidance on competitive offers, prepare documents, and facilitate the offer to on-boarding cycle through integration of new staff
• Manage the performance appraisal process, providing constructive guidance and advising senior management on issues of consistency and equity in the process and decision-making
• Provide coaching and consultation to employees at all levels
• Identify training needs within regions and leadership teams; develop, implement, and facilitate training to the workforce, including management
• Develop and establish programs to enhance employee retention and connection with supervisors, including but not limited to employee surveys, employee focus groups, etc.
• Lead salary planning and compensation administration; provide guidance to leadership regarding Simon's pay-for-performance philosophy; review submissions by management and identify pay inequities and anomalies for resolution and submission to parent organization
• Partner with senior leadership to develop, manage, and communicate procedures to remain current and in compliance with various Human Resources policies and procedures, federal and state employment laws, standards and regulations
• Conduct investigations on matters such as allegations of harassment or discrimination; serve as liaison with outside counsel on employment-related matters
• Advise business unit and regional management on employment decisions, including hiring, disciplinary, and termination decisions, insuring adherence to company policy and compliance with relevant federal and state laws and regulations
• Work with parent company (Colas Inc.) Human Resources staff on development of U.S. subsidiary initiatives and implementation of programs
Qualifications, Education, Skills and Experience:
• Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Management, Human Resources, or related field
• Professional Certification (SPHR, SHRM-SCP, etc.) preferred
• 10+ years of experience managing human resource functions required; including 5 years of staff management, and/or business partner support roles
• Proficiency in and knowledge of HRIS and automated payroll platforms (SAP/Success Factors, JDE, or similar)
• Experience with administration of background screening and drug testing administration, including applicable regulations (DOT/FMCSA, FCRA, etc.)
• Experience in Construction, mining, heavy manufacturing, or related industry preferred
• Experience working in a decentralized matrix organization, and ambiguous business environment
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions:
• Wear and maintain personal protective equipment (PPE) as required by company safety guidelines
• Regularly required to use hands to feel, handle and manipulate objects
• Regularly required to communicate (talk and hear)
• Frequently required to stand, walk, sit, reach with hands and arms, and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
• Frequently required to sit for long periods at a desk using a computer
• Frequent exposure to typical construction site conditions, including dust and loud noise, and all weather conditions
Workplace Values Requirements:
• Support, promote, and practice Simon core values, vision, and mission
• Support, promote, and comply with Simon Code of Ethics, Workplace Conduct, Safety, and other established policies
• Embrace the Company's safety culture, actively support all safety initiatives, and adhere to defined accountabilities implemented by the Safety Steering and Continuous Improvement teams
• Align personal vision and goals with larger goals of the Company
• Support continuous improvement to improve Simon processes, performance, safety, and overall success
The information contained herein is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the job, nor are they intended to be an all-inclusive list of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Management may, at its discretion, assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Simon is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action Employer dedicated to promoting diversity and maintaining a drug-free workplace. It is our policy to ensure that applicants are considered for employment based on their qualifications without regard to their race, religion (including religious dress and grooming practices), creed, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expressions, sexual orientation, color, national origin, ancestry, age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), immigration status, citizenship, genetic information, medical conditions, protected veteran status, uniform service member status, familial status, marital status, registered domestic partner status or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. Applicants are treated on the basis of their job-related qualifications, ability and performance. We are committed to equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants and provide a workplace free of harassment and discrimination. This Policy applies to aspects of employment including recruitment, hiring, training and development, promotion, termination, compensation, benefits, and all other terms and conditions of employment in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws. For more information about your EEO rights as an applicant, please click here and here . For notification on E-Verify click here and for information on Right to Work, click here. We are a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
If you need accommodation to access the information provided on this website, please contact Simon at or send an e-mail to: .
Simon will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants. For more information, please click here .