Secure Development Engineer
Posted on Jun 14, 2019 by NetApp
Are you data-driven? We at NetApp believe in the transformative power of data - to expand customer touchpoints, to foster greater innovation, and to optimize operations. We are designed for simplicity, optimized to protect, created to embrace future opportunity, and open to enrich choice. We are the data authority for hybrid cloud, and we are helping our customers realize the full potential of their data.
We've built a Data Fabric for a data-driven world - to simplify and integrate data management across the resources that are best for the business. With the Data Fabric, our customers can harness the power of cloud data services, build cloud infrastructures, and modernize storage through data management.
By modernizing storage through data management, customers can upgrade infrastructure to bring modern data services to existing applications. Only NetApp can help organizations free the resources necessary to fund transformation by deploying the industry's leading flash storage solution, which is highly efficient and scalable in both data center and cloud environments.
As a Secure Development Lifecycle (SDL) Engineer you will take an active role in a cross functional team, focused on determining requirements, architecture, design, and guiding the implementation of multiple product security assurance initiatives. You will plan, lead, and manage, and track the application and compliance of secure development lifecycle activities across NetApp's product portfolio. This is a challenging position working in a very fast paced environment, with the opportunity to work collaboratively with like professionals in the Product Security, Engineering, Marketing, Operations, Legal, Testing and Global Services functions, and to positively influence greater business outcomes.
The Secure Development Lifecycle Engineer coordinates NetApp Technology Groups during the product lifecycle, ensuring security checkpoints are understood and completed. The role involves working with others who have a varying level of understanding of product security and how it impacts their functions. A successful candidate will be able to relate secure development to all levels of experience from senior leadership to entry-level engineers. The job requires the handling of sensitive information and requires exceptional judgment to protect company and customer interests.
- Define, commit, and track secure development lifecycle activities across the entire product development organization.
- Continually working to improve application security through new and adjusted methodology and tooling.
- Coordinate with engineers, serve as a project lead, and/or recognized as an expert in secure design, development, and delivery.
- Perform technical security assessments including threat modeling, attack surface analysis, security baseline analysis, security requirements/architectural review, code review, and final security reviews and recommendations.
- Identify and communicate project scope and ensure program milestones and objectives are met.
- Keep management informed of key issues and changes which may impact expected business results.
- Ensure that projects adhere to efficient processes and initiate process and tooling improvements as needed.
- Provide recommendations on remediation approaches that strike the right balance across business deliverables.
- Assist with other tasks as needed, including maintenance of internal development tools for Product Security and Product Security Incident Response (PSIRT)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experienced in most aspects of a Secure Development Lifecycle, including: code review, Software Composition Analysis (SCA), detecting and mitigating common weaknesses (OWASP Top 10), static analysis security testing (SAST), web app scanning (DAST), vulnerability scanning, fuzzing, threat modeling, and architectural review
- Penetration testing experience is a desirable.
- Experience in storage (block/file/object), databases, or other distributed systems is highly desirable.
- Strong understanding of common networking protocols (e.g. TCP/IP, Ethernet, DNS, HTTP, TLS).
- Proven experience in working collaboratively and leading engineering teams in secure software development.
- Strong understanding of third-party and open source software integration and usage methodology.
- Minimum 2 years of software development experience in 1 or more of: C, C++, C# & Java. Must be well-versed in common security patterns and vulnerabilities in these languages.
- Development skills in one or more interpreted languages
- Knowledgeable in common software patterns, data structures & algorithms, and development methodologies. Proven ability to quickly pick-up new languages, frameworks, and codebases.
Typically requires a minimum of 5 years of related experience with a Bachelor's degree; or 3 years and a Master's degree; or a PhD without experience; or equivalent work experience.
- A minimum of 4 years of experience is required. 5 to 7 years of experience is preferred.
- A Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering or Computer Science, a Master Degree, or a PhD; or equivalent experience is required.
- Demonstrated ability to have led and completed multiple complex projects.
- OSCP is highly desirable
So get ready to tap into the data visionary within, and join us as we accelerate digital transformation and empower our customers to change the world with data!
If you ask a NetApp employee why they work here, the answer is inevitably the same: the people. At NetApp, our culture is at the heart of what we do. We place importance in trust, integrity, teamwork, and caring above all else. NetApp is a place where people are empowered to make a difference. Empowered to innovate. Empowered to collaborate. Empowered to help ourselves and others be data-driven and change the world. We take care of each other, our customers, our partners, and our communities simply because it's the right thing to do.
We work hard but also recognize the importance of work-life balance for our employees because what's important to them is important to us! Recently we implemented Family First, which encourages employees to take paid time off to bond with a new child (through birth or adoption) or to care for a family member with a serious health condition. Our volunteer time off program is best in class, offering employees 40 hours of paid time off per year to donate their time with their favorite organizations. We provide comprehensive medical, dental, wellness and vision plans for you and your family. We offer educational assistance, legal services, and access to discounts and fitness centers. We also offer financial savings programs to help you plan for your future.
Join us and see what empowerment can do.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Vets/Disabled