Technical Director Software
Posted on Jun 14, 2019 by NetApp
NetApp is the data authority for hybrid cloud. We provide a full range of hybrid cloud data services that simplify management of applications and data across cloud and on-premises environments to accelerate digital transformation. Together with our partners, we empower global organizations to unleash the full potential of their data to expand customer touchpoints, foster greater innovation and optimize their operations.
NetApp is seeking a Technical Director for Element, Resiliency and Scalability to join our Boulder team. This role would report directly to the Director of Engineering for storage technologies. The SolidFire team has delivered, and continues to develop, an Enterprise-Scale HCI product based on SolidFire's proven all-flash storage technology. As a Technical Director of Software Engineering you hold a senior position in the R & D function as an individual contributor. You provide strong leadership and a strategic consultative role to the organization as related to driving product development and strategy
About The Role
- A major part of your responsibility will be to work on issues that impact development success or address future concepts, products or technologies.
- Provide future technical vision to the function as well as the organization as a whole.
- Successfully negotiate strategic and other issues which effect the business internally and externally.
- Must be a seasoned communicator and presenter.
- Maintain affiliations and relationships with academic and industry technical experts globally and serve as external spokesperson for the company.
- Provide leadership and guidance to senior engineers.
Key responsibilities for this role include:
- Strong understanding of Storage technologies and strengths in other adjacencies like Server and compute virtualization, hypervisors and virtual machine management.
- Experience in building and deploying large scale, distributed and autonomous cloud service.
- Knowledge of multiple hypervisor stacks, namely VMware and KVM
- Containers and OS virtualization - deep understanding of the container ecosystem with Docker and Kubernetes. Able to design complex microservices based architectures
- Proficiency with automating deployment, scaling, load balancing and management of containerized applications
- Good understanding of networking internals, L2 and L3 switching/routing, Virtual and Software Defined networking
- Strong concepts around Virtual Private Cloud, network security (IPSec/TLS)
- Knowledge of network congestion management, new trends around networking like NFV, DC-TCP and low latency lossless networks is a big plus
Essential Job functions:
- Develop and evangelize technical vision within the CIBU organization and extend NetApp's IP portfolio
- Partner with product management to drive roadmap planning and prioritization discussions
- Ability to translate product requirements and challenges into a scalable and sustainable architecture influencing the technical direction
- Provide technical direction and guidance to engineering leadership and executive staff. Successfully solve strategic and product execution challenges.
- Align product direction by successfully recognizing relevant technology and industry trends
- Provide leadership, mentoring and guidance to senior technical staff members
Typically requires a minimum of 10+ years of related experience. B.S., or M.S. in Computer Science or a related field/ equivalent experience.
What You'll Love About Being Part of Our Team:
Our Culture: It's our culture and our people. If you ask anyone at NetApp why they work here, the answer is inevitably the same: it's the people.
Our Location: We have a beautiful Boulder office, with amazing Flatiron views, on the vibrant downtown Pearl Street.
Health Benefits: NetApp provides comprehensive medical, dental, wellness, and vision plans for you and your family.
Financial and Savings Programs: Whether it's flexible spending, stock purchases, or competitive retirement plans, we work with you to capitalize on total compensation now and into the future.
Work Life balance and more: To make sure of work-life balance, we offer paid and volunteer time off, educational assistance, legal services, and access to discounts and fitness centers.
Global Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging: We fully embrace and advance a diverse, inclusive global workforce with a culture of belonging that leverages the backgrounds of all to cultivate a higher performing organization.