Posted on Jun 14, 2019 by Sky Betting & Gaming
As an Engineering Manager you shall be responsible for several squads, where you will evangelise and prioritise engineering best practice (the "how" of achieving the particular business goal) so we have a clear direction for improvement. You will set the technical vision for the squads, specifically, this role is responsible for managing the levels of technical debt, common coding practices, ageing code risks, framework and language choice, development build and deployment tooling, working with and managing directly the technical leads within our squads. You shall be responsible for engineering SDLC adherence against our wider compliance requirements, ensuring that we do this in a way which maintains our low-bureaucracy high-trust working environment. You will be responsible for ensuring that technical expertise in incident management, root cause analysis, post incident decisions and technical oversight of remedial work is considered, understood, and carried out.
You will help to build industry-leading services, built on virtualised and cloud platforms. You will be working in teams that are evenly balanced with a mixture of specialists across front-end and back-end technologies: it's your attitude and potential to learn and grow we're looking for, not an oracle of any discipline or specific technology. We write a lot of React/JS, Node/JS, Swift, Kotlin and Java; we use Docker and Kubernetes plenty, and we also do quite a bit in Kafka, PHP, Chef, Graphite, Akka, Redis, MySQL, MongoDB and a range of AWS services, depending on whichever product-owning team you're part of. We update our technology stack regularly based on what suits the job the best.
Every engineer is passionate about their team and drives improvements in their discipline and the quality of their team's systems. They share knowledge with others and are constantly learning and adapting their skills to push themselves and their team further: both in the tech that they use, and the way that they approach work, supporting all elements of the work of the team from analysis, design, development, test and operations regardless of title: team commitment is an essential part of our daily lives.
We are not building a monolithic Enterprise app - think micro-services and a lean approach with quick running tests and deployment.How you will do it…
- Recruit a strong team of top-notch highly motivated software engineers at all levels, manage skills gaps and reduce key people dependencies.
- Develop & motivate those in your team by providing clear direction, opportunities for learning & direct coaching. Pro-actively manage any individual performance problems.
- Working close with Product to define and maintain the best team structures (aligned to a culture of "small autonomous agile teams") to match the current focus of our business.
- Ensure effective delivery practices are implemented in the engineering team.
- This role is part of a tribe technology leadership team and has a strong voice in all key technology decisions.
- Work with product alongside finance, & marketing stakeholders to agree and prioritise the roadmap. Do this in a clear, consistent and transparent way based on appropriate criteria, e.g. business benefit, customer experience impact.
- Work with the architecture team to help define our platform architectural vision to support the roadmap, and mobilise your engineers to take us there.
- Work with the wider tribe leadership to plan and manage deliveries and report against progress toward our vision and objectives.
An environment where teams feel like family and everyone works together as one team to achieve your shared vision.
Helping you be a master in your domain is critical to our company's success: that's why we have "10% L&D time" just for you. This means that Friday afternoons are your time to learn whatever you decide you need to stay at the top of your game.
We have close links with the local tech communities and our colleagues will regularly be seen at local events such as LeedsJS & LeedsPHP as well as hosting events at our modern offices in the heart of Leeds city centre.
Our People Ambition is to attract & develop diverse & talented people to meet the current and future growth needs of SB&G. Together, our aim is to create the Best Digital Business to work at.Mon to Fri - Standard
£30k - £40k Annual
£30k - £40k Annual