Plasma Center Nurse - RN, LPN, or EMT-P (Full Time/Immediate Benefits)
Posted on Jun 14, 2019 by Shire
BioLife is an industry leader in operating high quality plasmapheresis centers throughout the United States. At BioLife Plasma Services, we excel at caring. Caring for the quality of our lifesaving services, caring for the donors who help make it happen, and caring for the communities we call home. Improving Lives. Improving life for everyone.
BioLife's employment opportunities are among the best, offering competitive pay, immediate benefits, paid time off, on the job training, advancement potential AND an environment full of fast-paced fun all while working to save lives.
The Medical Support Specialist determines donor eligibility to donate plasma, management of donor adverse events, review of laboratory test results, donor notification of unsuitable test results. The Medical Support Specialist works under the direct supervision of the Center Manager (or Assistant Manager as applicable) for operational guidance and under the supervision of the Center Physician for medical issues. Ideally, the Medical Support Specialist will be familiar with regulations of the plasma collection industry and/or a manufacturing environment. The Medical Support Specialist follows guidance provided by BioLife Medical Affairs and provides center level support of environmental, health and safety (EHS).
- Determine donor eligibility accurately and in a timely manner, to include, proper management of informed consent, AIDS education and confidential self-exclusion, medical history interview and acceptance requirements, physical examination, blood testing, and reviewing Serological Protein Electrophoresis (SPE) as required.
- Evaluate and manage donor reaction(s), which occurs at the facility as outlined in the SOPs. Follow applicable SOPs for medical emergencies including the execution of Center Physician's standing orders and donor transport to emergency care facilities.
- Manage donor deferral; reviews test results and notify donors of unsuitable test results per applicable SOPs.
- Initiation and investigation of Post Donation Information (PDI).
- Refer to the Center Physician or Medical Affairs (as applicable) when in need of providing unacceptable findings to donors, problem solving, or guidance concerning medical or technical issues, including donor safety and eligibility.
- Demonstrate continued competency in the performance of job responsibilities and complete periodic assessment with the Center Physician per applicable SOPs.
- Conduct pre-placement evaluation of new hires to include assessment of medical history questionnaire.
- Support the Hepatitis B and Seasonal Flu vaccination programs for employees as applicable.
- Maintain applicable employee medical records.
- Member of EHS site committee and assist in training of employees, as required.
- Administer first aid to employees as needed.
- Act as Pandemic Coordinator when authorized by EHS.
- Manage employee incidents and determine whether further evaluation is required by occupational health/ER. Refer to EHS guiding regarding employee incidents.
- Supports investigations associated with pandemic threats within local community as indicated by EHS or Medical Affairs.
- Greet donors as they enter and exit the donor floor.
- Take and record donor pulse, blood pressure, and temperature measures and monitor electronic donor questionnaire system.
- Perform finger stick, test sample, and record other donor measures to include hematocrit, total protein and weight.
- Enter donor information into the Donor Information System (DIS).
Essential: Graduate of a recognized educational program.
- Able to satisfactorily complete the FDA approved training requirements for BioLife Medical Support Specialist.
- Effective communication skills.
- Customer service oriented.
- Basic computer skills.
- Willingness to work with other the Center Medical Team members to ensure coverage of all operating hours.
- Willingness to travel preferred.
- Graduate of a recognized educational program.
- Currently licensed or certified in the state duties will be assigned.
- Paramedic (EMT-P), Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) or Registered Nurse (RN).
- Current Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and AED certification required.
- Fulfillment of state requirements (in state of licensure) for basic IV therapy.
- Minimum of two years in a clinical or hospital setting preferred.
- Bachelor's Degree preferred but NOT required.
Employment / Recruitment agents may only submit candidates for vacancies only if they have written authorization to do so from Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda's Talent Acquisition department. Any agency candidate submission may only be submitted to positions opened to the agency through the specific Agency Portal. Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda will only pay a fee for candidates submitted or presented where there is a fully executed contract in place between the Employment / Recruitment agents and Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda and only if the candidate is submitted via the Agency Portal. Candidates submitted or presented by Employment / Recruitment Agents without a fully executed contract or submitted through this site shall not be deemed to form part of any Engagement for which the Agency may claim remuneration.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda, is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce. Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda, will not discriminate against any worker or job applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, ancestry, age, sexual orientation, marital or civil partnership status, pregnancy, gender reassignment, non-job related mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, military service, application for military service, or membership in any other category protected under law.
EEO is the Law -
EEO is the Law - Supplement -
Pay Transparency Policy -
Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda, is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please call 484-###-#### and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
Associated topics: license, licensed practical, licensed practical nurse, licensed vocational, licensed vocational nurse, lvn, med surg, pediatrics, practical, vocational nurse