Database Administrator, Sr. / Oracle DBA
Posted on Jun 14, 2019 by Wellcare
Designs, documents, implements, monitors, secures, and supports Oracle and MS SQL and other database systems to meet the business requirements of the organization. Maximizes the performance, security, reliability, and availability of all databases.
Reports To: Mgr, Infrastructure Sys Eng, IT-Infrastructure
- Designs, documents, implements, monitors, secures and supports Oracle and MS SQL relational, OLTP, OLAP, and star schema databases and other database systems.
- Plans and manages patch application on all database servers.
- Creates, distributes, and enforces standards for user account, group, and database security and configuration for all production databases and for non-production databases that may contain PHI or other sensitive data protected under HIPAA, Sarbanes Oxley, or other state or federal regulatory requirements.
- Designs, documents, implements, and monitors archive and other essential log file configuration, operation, and location.
- Designs, documents, implements, and monitors backup of critical database files to tape or other approved media, and other database protection or high availability solutions such as replication, mirroring, shadowing, or RAC.
- Monitors performance issues on all production and non-production databases (as applicable) implementing performance monitoring and trending on all production and applicable non-production databases with tools such as Stats Pack, Enterprise Manager, and appropriate third party OS and Oracle or MS SQL and other performance monitoring tools.
- Provides monthly reports to management on performance on production databases including any performance exceptions and all requested performance data in a summarized, easy-to-read format.
- Designs, documents, and implements performance enhancing hardware, OS, or database configuration changes to improve performance using performance data collected to verify performance improvements.
- Creates, documents, and implements standard, secure, high-performance configurations for all Oracle and MS SQL and other database installs.
- Assist development and reporting groups in optimizing SQL statements in applications, batch jobs, and reports and in designing and using databases and database applications and processes for maximum performance, security, reliability, and availability.
- Additional duties as needed.
- Responds to alerts or emergency issues within 15 minutes during normal business hours and when on-call
- Provides project management support for database and database systems projects
- Transfers knowledge to other IT staff
- Reviews new technologies against business requirements to identify opportunities for process, performance, reliability, or data management, storage or backup improvements and to identify opportunities to improve performance or reduce costs.
- After hours work may be required for upgrades to production systems to avoid system downtime during business hours
- Must be able to be available for after-hours support via cell phone or pager 24x7 when on call.
- A valid driver's license and the ability to drive are required to allow for infrequent (less than 5%) travel to remote sites for support and installations as necessary.
- Required A High School or GED 3 years IT experience plus 6 years DBA experience
- Preferred A Bachelor's Degree in a related field Bachelor's degree may be substituted for the 3 yrs IT experience required
- Preferred A Master's Degree in a related field Master's degree may be substituted for the 3 yrs IT experience and 1 yr of Database administration experience required
- Required 6 years of experience in Database administration
- Required 3 years of experience in Information technology (in addition to the database administration experience required)
- Intermediate Demonstrated interpersonal/verbal communication skills
- Intermediate Demonstrated written communication skills
- Intermediate Ability to multi-task
- Advanced Ability to work in a matrixed environment
- Advanced Ability to work as part of a team
- Intermediate Other Must be able to understand and follow verbal instructions and written polices and procedures to ensure adherence to standards and to instructions from management.
- Intermediate Other Must be able to document and diagram solutions using standard formats. Documentation must be grammatically correct, factually accurate, and appropriate to the target audience.
- Advanced Ability to work independently
- Advanced Demonstrated analytical skills
- Advanced Ability to work in a fast paced environment with changing priorities
A license in one of the following is required:
- Preferred Other Professional database certifications are preferred.
- Required Advanced Other Must have advanced level experience in at least 1 database technology and at least intermediate level experience in another database technology.
- Required Advanced Oracle Database Management System (DBMS)
- Required Intermediate Microsoft Excel
- Required Intermediate Microsoft Word
- Required Intermediate Microsoft PowerPoint
- Required Intermediate Microsoft Access
- Required Intermediate Microsoft Outlook
- Required Intermediate Microsoft Visio
- Required Intermediate Other Must have a good understanding of database design for relational, OLAP, OLTP, and star schema databases
- Required Beginner Microsoft Project
- Required Advanced MS SQL
- Required Intermediate Other Must be able to type at least 25 words a minute for data and configuration entry
- Required Intermediate Other Must be able to communicate effectively verbally and in writing with non-technical staff and end-users for requirements gathering, testing, training, and outcome validation.
- Required Intermediate Other Must be able to communicate technical solutions to management for review and approval both verbally and in writing.
- Required Intermediate Other Must have a good understanding of database security.
Headquartered in Tampa, Fla., WellCare Health Plans, Inc. (NYSE: WCG) focuses primarily on providing government-sponsored managed care services to families, children, seniors and individuals with complex medical needs primarily through Medicaid, Medicare Advantage and Medicare Prescription Drug Plans, as well as individuals in the Health Insurance Marketplace. WellCare serves approximately 5.5 million members nationwide as of September 30, 2018. WellCare is a Fortune 500 company that employs nearly 12,000 associates across the country and was ranked a "World's Most Admired Company" in 2018 by Fortune magazine. For more information about WellCare, please visit the company's website at . EOE: All qualified applicants shall receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, age, sex, pregnancy, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, ancestry, disability, genetic information, childbirth or related medical condition or other legally protected basis protected by applicable federal or state law except where a bona fide occupational qualification applies. Comprehensive Health Management, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer, M/F/D/V/SO.