Senior Specialist, Systems Engineering
Posted on Jun 14, 2019 by Harris Corporation
Job Title - Senior Specialist, Systems Engineering
Job Location - Rochester, NY
Job Code - CS-29445
Harris Corporation is a leading technology innovator, solving customers' toughest mission-critical challenges by providing solutions that connect, inform and protect. Harris supports government and commercial customers in more than 100 countries and has approximately $6 billion in annual revenue. The company is organized into three business segments: Communication Systems, Space and Intelligence Systems and Electronic Systems. Learn more at harris.com
System Design and Implementation of complex tactical radio systems integrated into systems and platforms (land, sea, air) that satisfy specific customer requirements for critical wireless communications.
- Support the Systems Engineering Integration and Test (SEIT) IPT Team in determining the end customer's technical requirements, developing, and documenting the design solution.
- Work with Project Leadership to ensure the conversion of customer requirements, including informal requirements, into solutions that balance the technical, schedule and cost constraints for the system design.
- Experience with design and integration of electronics and communications equipment into vehicle platforms (primarily land vehicles, but sea and air platforms experienced a plus)
- Provide complete design efforts including: defining the end customer's technical requirement; designing, documenting and costing of systems, and integration and test of those systems.
- Develop systems safety requirements and implement safety efforts based on hazard analysis.
- Support the Systems Safety program and all sub-activities associated, including Systems Safety Program Plan, Hazard Analysis Report, Hazard Logs, and security requirements.
- Manage the project risks and ensure we are proactively mitigating and reducing risks during the system design execution.
- Design systems utilizing Harris and other OEM equipment to offer a complete customer solution integrated into customer systems and various platforms (land vehicle, ship, aircraft, UAV). Includes one or more of the following: HF, VHF, UHF, and microwave radios, custom design peripheral subsystems for both voice and data applications.
- Working knowledge of IP networking, video, and other data protocols for use in communication systems.
- Position requires the demonstrated ability to work effectively with other organizations (Engineering, Sales, Program Management, and Operations) to complete assigned projects.
- BSEE/BSCE or other technical field and 7+ years of systems engineering experience or Master's Degree
- Approximately 10% short term international travel anticipated
- Computer Proficiency - Excel, Word, Power Point, Visio, and MS Project.
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Knowledge of RF antenna systems, two-way tactical radio systems, microwave systems, other wireless systems, IP networks, International Government / DoD systems experience desirable.
- Knowledge of RF antenna systems including HF, VHF, UHF, L band, and microwave. MIMO antenna systems experience a plus.
- Strong background in Electromagnetic Environmental Effects (E3) standards/specifications (or equivalent commercial standards).
- Knowledge of collocation design.
- Proficiency at writing clear and concise language tailored to a wide variety of audiences. Successful candidate will possess excellent technical, interpersonal and customer skills, plus demonstrate the capacity to effectively foster team building within and beyond his/her work group.
- Packaging and performance verification of electrical systems for harsh environments including rugged packaging for transport and mobile applications. Military Systems experience in this area a plus.
- Experience with process improvement in a CMMI and ISO9001 work environment.
- International travel experiences as well as foreign language proficiency a plus.
Please be aware that many of our positions require a security clearance, or the ability to obtain one. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that Harris Corporation may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
Harris is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We consider applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local law.
Candidates will support Environment, Health and Safety by fulfilling the Harris EHS Policy, complying with Harris EHS programs and applicable regulations, and striving for continual EHS improvement.