Director of Nursing - UPMC Bedford Memorial
Posted on Jun 13, 2019 by UPMC
Are you an experienced nurse leader obsessed with the patient experience and ensuring quality care outcomes? Are you looking for the opportunity to lead a dynamic nursing team at a world class hospital? Do you have a proven track record of mentoring and developing staff and leaders? Consider applying to this fantastic leadership opportunity at UPMC Bedford!
This leader will direct the provision of quality patient care in collaboration with the Vice President of Patient Care Services by identifying, analyzing, and refining clinical and system processes and operations to improve and ensure positive patient outcomes. Utilizes human and financial resources effectively to ensure the achievement of operational imperatives within the Hospital division. Contributes to the development and maintenance of a professional practice environment to achieve positive patient care outcomes and staff satisfaction. Assists the VP of Patient Care Services in the development of policies and goals that address patient care operations.
More specifically, we are looking for someone who is going to be invested in the community which includes participating in community events such as Rotary, Chamber of Commerce. We are looking for a leader who has a strong track record in management skills as well as skilled in strategic planning. Our ideal candidate must have good financial acumen and be fiscally responsible.
This leader must have knowledge of DOH and Joint Commission standards. This position should add depth to our executive management group and have potential to grow into larger roles.
• Contribute to the development and maintenance of a professional practice environment to achieve positive patient care outcomes and staff satisfaction. Articulate and ensure compliance with patient care and nursing standards established by regulatory agencies (e.g. PA DOH, CMS, and the Joint Commission), as well as hospital patient care standards and standards published by professional organizations. Promote the ongoing development of the Professional Practice Council. Recommend changes to policies and procedures at all levels of the organization Collaborate with professionals across the UPMC to identify and support joint educational opportunities. Support the planning, implementation and evaluation of the nursing education program including orientation and continuing education in nursing activities. Role models, encourages, mentors and monitors other to routinely utilize evidence-based data for management and clinical decision making. Participate in professional organizations to enhance personal growth and facilitate collaborate relationships at a regional, national and international level. Coach and advise professional staff in the formulation of their professional development plan.
• Engage all levels of staff in decision making related to their practice. Develop and evaluate clinical systems and facilitate that delivery of comprehensive patient/family care across the continuum. Recognize the need for a varied leadership style based on the situation and developmental stage of an individual or group. Develop nursing leaders and participate in successful planning activities. Create a structure and necessary support that promotes and allow for staff input and consideration.
• Participate in workforce planning and employment decisions including selecting talented nursing leaders, mentoring others and applying appropriate corrective disciplinary actions to mitigate workplace behavior problems. Develop relationships and integrate all team members including physicians into the team's work. Establish and maintain good rapport and cooperative relationship with peers, nursing staff, hospital staff, medical staff, management, and other.
• Provide direction and support to the Nurse Leaders and direct reports by identifying, analyzing, and refining clinical and system processes and operations to improve and ensure positive patient outcomes. Effectively communicate and model the shared mission, vision and values of Patient Care Services and UPMC. Assist with the development of the hospital Nursing strategic plan. Demonstrate philosophy of lifelong learning. Facilitate planning, implementation and evaluation of patient flow initiatives to enhance patient care delivery and patient satisfaction. Define programmatic and financial goals consistent with the short and long-term goals of the program, the division and UPMC. Analyze performance from the business and financial perspectives and assist to achieve financial goals and objectives. Identify factors, internal and external to the system that will affect the programmatic and financial viability of the Program and intervene appropriately to optimize desired outcomes. Develop short term, long range plans and budgets based on the division's goals and objectives and presents recommendations. Promote a customer service approach and Ensures patient care outcomes as well as department goals are achieved.
• Utilize hospital data management systems to access information and analyze data in planning for patient care processes and systems. Lead/Form problem solving teams around the clinical improvement issues. Recommend changes in the division as required to positively support the delivery of quality patient care. Serve as a change agent, assisting other in understanding the importance, necessity, impact and process of change. Establish the provision of quality care as a core value, guiding principle and primary accountability in all aspects of Patient Care operations. Recommend changes in clinical care or process improvement based on clinical findings, team recommendations and research literature to promote cost/quality outcomes. Collaborate with nursing leadership to determine patient care quality improvement goals and objectives. Monitor clinical activities to identify unexpected risk and implement patient safety initiatives. Demonstrate initiative to address complex, high risk problems and translate them into opportunities and challenges. Share nursing sensitive quality outcomes in appropriate leadership forums
• BSN required
• Relevant Masters degree required.
• 5 years of progressive leadership experience in a health care setting required.
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
Nursing Administration Certification Preferred
• Act 34 Criminal Clearance with Renewal
• Registered Nurse
UPMC is an equal opportunity employer. Minority/Females/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
Salary Range: $0 / hour
Union Position: No