Scientist I (Preformulation)
Posted on Jun 13, 2019 by Catalent
Catalent hires people with a passion to make a difference to the health of millions of people globally. Your expertise, coupled with Catalent's advanced technologies and collaboration with thousands of innovative pharmaceutical, biotech and healthcare companies, will help bring life-enhancing products to the people you know and love. Your talents, ideas and passion are essential to our mission; to develop, manufacture and supply products that help people live better, healthier lives. Interested in learning more about life at Catalent? Start here
Catalent Pharma Solutions is hiring for an experienced Scientist I to perform Preformulation activities for our San Diego, CA team. The Scientist I, Preform will be expected to either lead projects as an individual contributor or to build and lead a team focused on preformulation and solid-state characterization for small molecule and peptide drug products and amorphous intermediates. The primary analytical tools will include HPLC, UPLC, DSC, TGA, PXRD, SEM, GVS, PSD, and Pion Pulse/uDiss. The individual will assist in the researching and introduction of new analytical technology to characterize drug products and will be the primary point of customer contact for preformulation strategy, compliance, and troubleshooting. The individual may also participate in continuous improvement projects and support department initiatives. There is an expectation of direct hands-on laboratory work and/or supervision of multiple direct reports and mentoring/training of other colleagues as needed.
The Role (daily responsibilities)
- Conduct and/or supervise preformulation studies to support drug development efforts for our clients (physical characterization, phototoxicity potential, log P/D, dissolution, solubility, stability, bulk/tap density etc.)
- Optimize/Internalize HPLC and UPLC analytical methods
- Perform and train others on a variety of analytical techniques including, but not necessarily limited to: analytical balances, pH meters, high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC/UPLC), UV/Vis spectroscopy, DSC, TGA, PSD, PXRD, SEM, and Pion uDiss/Pulse.
- Communicate results both internally and externally through oral and written updates and formal reports as necessary. Organize meetings and monitor all client interactions independently. Supervisor will be notified if their assistance is needed.
- Perform secondary review of other colleagues' work for scientific accuracy and compliance
- Assist in the creation and/or revision of new department-wide and site-site procedures and company SOPs.
- Individuals will stay abreast of current scientific technologies to maintain the state of the art nature of Catalent's services.
- Individuals will proactively communicate strategy to clients and draft addendums to contracts and write and provide initial review of new proposals as appropriate.
- Individuals will support the business aspects of their position by taking responsibility for the execution and billing communication for all work proposals under their supervision.
- Hire, train, and supervise preformulation group members as necessary.
The Candidate (requirements)
- BS degree (in a physical, chemical, biological, or pharmaceutical science discipline), from an accredited university, with 6 to 10 years of industry experience in preformulation or related techniques
- MS degree (in a physical, chemical, biological, or pharmaceutical science discipline), from an accredited university, with 5 to 8 years of industry experience in preformulation or related techniques
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Previous supervisory experience preferred
- Relocation Assistance is NOT available for this position
Catalent's standard leadership competencies that are used to interview and for Performance & Development
- Leads with Integrity and Respect
- Delivers Results
- Demonstrates Business Acumen
- Fosters Collaboration and Teamwork
- Champions Change
- Engages and Inspires
- Coaches and Develops
- Potential for career growth within an expanding team
- Defined career path and annual performance review and feedback process
- Medical, Dental, Vision insurance and 401k are all offered from Day One of employment
- 19 days of paid time off (PTO) and generous paid holidays annually
About Catalent San Diego
Catalent San Diego, Inc. (Formerly Pharmatek Laboratories, Inc.) is a premier pharmaceutical chemistry development and manufacturing organization supporting the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries. Catalent San Diego focuses on bringing client drug compounds from discovery to the clinic with services that include analytical development, preformulation testing, formulation development, GMP manufacturing and stability storage and testing. At Catalent San Diego, we recruit and develop exceptional individuals with a passion for science and determination to excel. We offer a technically challenging and stimulating environment and the opportunity to learn from the best. We provide a generous benefits package, on-site gym and fitness programs, team sports, activities and competitive compensation.
Catalent offers rewarding opportunities to further your career! Join the global drug development and delivery leader and help us bring over 7,000 life-saving and life-enhancing products to patients around the world. Catalent is an exciting and growing international company where employees work directly with pharma, biopharma and consumer health companies of all sizes to advance new medicines from early development to clinical trials and to the market. Catalent produces more than 70 billion doses per year, and each one will be used by someone who is counting on us. Join us in making a difference.
Catalent. More products. Better treatments. Reliably supplied. ™
Visit to explore career opportunities.
C atalent is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation or gender identity. If you require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process due to a disability, you may submit your request by sending an email, and confirming your request for an accommodation and include the job number, title and location to . This option is reserved for individuals who require accommodation due to a disability. Information received will be processed by a U.S. Catalent employee and then routed to a local recruiter who will provide assistance to ensure appropriate consideration in the application or hiring process.
Notice to Agency and Search Firm Representatives: Catalent Pharma Solutions (Catalent) is not accepting unsolicited resumes from agencies and/or search firms for this job posting. Resumes submitted to any Catalent employee by a third party agency and/or search firm without a valid written & signed search agreement, will become the sole property of Catalent. No fee will be paid if a candidate is hired for this position as a result of an unsolicited agency or search firm referral. Thank you.