Mechanical Design Engineer
Posted on Jun 12, 2019 by CV-Library
We now operate across 3 continents, have partnered with multiple retailers (with plans for more) and are working on building new state of the art Customer Fulfilment Centres (CFCs) across the globe, as well as designing and manufacturing everything that goes inside them. This all starts with our Product Development team, which is where you come in.
We’re now looking for a Mechanical Design Engineer, to sit within our Design team in Product Development. In this role, you'll be responsible for the mechanical design of a wide range of systems, sub-systems and components, typically automation equipment. You'll be involved at any stage from translating requirements, through concept generation, detail design, manufacturer support to design updates and enhancements.
This is a great opportunity to sit alongside a growing team of talented designers!
What you can expect to be doing:
* Carrying out detailed mechanical design work including 3D modelling, calculations, simulation and design verification testing as needed
* Developing designs to meet requirements while following DFx best practice
* Designing injection moulded and die cast components including supporting the development of tooling, tool trials and corrections to successful release
* Selecting mechanical parts taking into consideration functionality, cost, availability and obsolescence
* Creating technical specifications including functional design specifications, 2D drawings, assembly drawings and bills of materials
* Managing technical risk, ensuring significant risks are reported and mitigated
* Solving engineering problems in a structured and methodical manner using data to make decisions. Calculations, methods and reasons for decisions are documented, reviewed and published
* Traveling to other company sites and to suppliers to present work, collaborate on projects and seek advice
* Preparing and presenting mechanical concepts and designs at reviews
* Liaising with other departments and sites. This includes working closely with Operations, manufacturers and production engineers to ensure designs are optimised for manufacture;
* Supporting the transition of designs into manufacture
* Ensuring design files and records are kept up to date
* Following departmental processes at all stages of product development
* Carrying out design change requests and associated administration in a timely manner
* Reporting progress of all assigned tasks
* Keeping up to date with the latest manufacturing techniques and material development
Skills/qualifications we need to see:
* A good Degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent Mechanical Engineering qualification with experience
* A proven track record in designing injection moulded and die cast components that have gone into production
* A thorough understanding of tooling for injection moulding and die casting including the process of making, trialling and correcting tools
* A proven track record in designing complex electromechanical automation systems, machines or products that have gone into production
* Expert experience in CAD; preferably SolidWorks and PDM software
* Substantial experience draughting to BS8888 with the use of GD&T
* A good understanding of component selection
* Experienced in generating supporting calculations and justification for design decisions required for a Technical File and Certification (CE, UL CSA or other)
* The ability to generate supporting calculations required for a Technical File and Certification (CE, UL CSA or other)
* The ability to work within a team on multiple projects, to prioritise tasks and to manage your time
* Experience of delivering work packages to time and budget constraints
Skills/experience that would be nice to have:
A proven track record in designing complex electromechanical automation systems or machines
Any experience using a PDM (Product Data Management) system
Want to know more about us?
Have a click around our dedicated Ocado Engineering website for info on the different departments that make up the Engineering function; what we do, what we’re trying to achieve, how we’re planning to get there and the key people involved that you could be working alongside.
Why not also give our LinkedIn page a follow so you can keep up to date?
If YouTube is more up your street, Ocado Engineering has its own channel - take some time out to watch our innovative products in action and hear our people talking about what we do and why you should join us.
If you need more convincing, here’s (some of) what we can offer you:
Private Medical Insurance
23 days holiday, increasing to 25 with 3 years’ service
Employee Assistance Program
Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn schemes
Discounted shopping on Ocado, Smart Pass and destination sites
£35k - £37k Annual
£30k - £37k Annual
£30k - £35k Annual
£30k - £35k Annual
£30k - £45k Annual
£32k - £38k Annual
£30k - £38k Annual
£45k - £50k Annual
£28k - £35k Annual
£45k - £50k Annual