Mechanical Design Engineer
Posted on Jun 11, 2019 by CV-Library
Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire
Ocado is no longer just an award-winning online retailer - we are also revolutionising when it comes to engineering, technology and automated logistics solutions that benefit not only our own business, but also that of our multiple retail partners across the globe.
Our Product Development department is at the forefront of our innovative automated solutions - it designs, tests, manufactures and rolls out products needed for our Customer Fulfilment Centres (CFCs) of the future. With the business growing rapidly both in the UK and internationally and multiple new CFCs in the works, it couldn’t be a better time to join us and be part of the Ocado journey.
We’re now looking for a Mechanical Design Engineer, to sit within our Design team in Product Development. This person will be responsible for the mechanical design of a wide range of systems, sub-systems and components, typically automation equipment or the grid system. You'll be involved at any stage from translating requirements, through concept generation, detail design, manufacturer support to design updates and enhancements.
* Carrying out detailed mechanical design work including 3D modelling, calculations, simulation and design verification testing as needed
* Developing designs to meet requirements while following DFx best practise
* Selecting mechanical parts taking into consideration functionality, cost, availability and obsolescence
* Creating technical specifications including functional design specifications, 2D drawings, assembly drawings and bills of materials
* Managing technical risk, ensuring significant risks are reported and mitigated
* Solving engineering problems in a structured and methodical manner using data to make decisions. Calculations, methods and reasons for decisions are documented, reviewed and published
* Traveling to other company sites and to suppliers to present work, collaborate on projects and seek advice
* Preparing and presenting mechanical concepts and designs at reviews
* Liaising with other departments and sites. This includes working closely with Operations, manufacturers and production engineers to ensure designs are optimised for manufacture;
* Supporting the transition of designs into manufacture
* Ensuring design files and records are kept up to date
* Following departmental processes at all stages of product development
* Carrying out design change requests and associated administration in a timely manner
* Reporting progress of all assigned tasks
* Keeping up to date with the latest manufacturing techniques and material development
Minimum skills/experience required:
* A good Degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent Mechanical Engineering qualification with experience
* A proven track record in designing complex electromechanical automation systems, machines or products that have gone into production
* Expert experience in CAD; preferably SolidWorks and PDM software
* Substantial experience draughting to BS8888 with the use of GD&T
* A good understanding of component selection
* The ability to generate supporting calculations required for a Technical File and Certification (CE, UL CSA or other)
* The ability to work within a team on multiple projects, to prioritise tasks and to manage your time
* Experience of delivering work packages to time and budget constraints
DISCLAIMER: This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills, efforts, requirements or working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed as assigned.
This role may require travel to other sites.
What we can offer you:
Private Medical Insurance
23 days holiday, increasing to 25 with 3 years’ service
Employee Assistance Program
Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn schemes
Discounted shopping on Ocado, Smart Pass and destination site
Equal Opportunity Employer
Ocado is an equal opportunities employer and as such makes every effort to ensure that all potential employers are treated fairly and equally, regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age, disability or union membership status.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we will be in contact with shortlisted candidates only. If you have not heard from us within 4 weeks, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Due to the fast-paced nature of Ocado's business our vacancy close dates may be subject to change
£40k - £50k Annual