HPC Site Learning and Improvement (Construction)
Posted on Jun 10, 2019 by CV-Library
Subject Matter Expert: Construction
Type of role: Contract
Length of role: 1 year initially
Reporting to the HPC Site Learning & Continuous Improvement Manager, the post-holder will be responsible for the implementation and continual development of the Learning and Continuous Performance Improvement arrangements at the HPC Site as the Construction subject matter expert (SME).
The post-holder will be responsible for the deployment and ongoing development of the Enable Organisational Learning process with particular emphasis on driving change to improve the contractor interface with the enable organisational learning process and optimisation of investigations.
Nature and Scope
• The HPC Site Learning & Continuous Improvement (Construction) SME will be part of a team of coordinators and other SMEs and have the responsibility for managing the contractor interface with the enable organisational learning process and optimisation of investigations. They will provide technical expertise and be the focal point for learning & continuous improvement within the work programme.
• Promote and deliver improvement activities taking benefit from Project learning by capitalising on their own technical expertise to target learning to maximise gains for the project, the future operator and subsequent new build project.
• Provide input for regulatory interfaces as required e.g. with the Office for Nuclear Regulation, HSE, Environment Agency etc. Develop and deliver targeted technical Organisational Learning training / tool box talks / briefings to ensure appropriate and sustainable knowledge transfer and competency levels exists for all site personnel.
• Post-holder will be required to develop a wide network and establish working relationships with both internal and external stakeholders to ensure learning is shared effectively and efficiently. They will be a key interface for shared learning with Tier 1 contractors on Site.
• Responsible for oversight and promoting rigour and pragmatism for designated scope of investigations for the HPC Learning & Improvement Team to ensure compliance with Site Licence Condition 7 – Incidents on Site.
• Responsible for promoting and delivering improvement activities for Learning and driving Continuous Performance Improvement within the HPC Site and the Associated Developments.
• Assess and make judgements on learning opportunities to ensure the project provides an appropriate proportional response, considering the impact on safety, quality, time and cost.
• Provide the investigation expertise and assurance to site management for reporting of events in accordance with Site Licence Condition 7 requirements and associated arrangements.
• Develop and implement data analysis tools, write trend reports (in particular analysis of Nonconformance reports), identify recommendation/actions for the site management team. Enable digital communication with Tier 1 contractors to optimise the interface.
• Provide technical challenge at the HPC Site Periodic Screening Meeting and Corrective Action Review Board ensuring all preparation requirements are met and meeting outputs managed and processed.
• Provide the connectivity and be the conduit for Learning activities to other parts of the business and external locations utilising experience and knowledge of the onsite activities to filter the learning as appropriate for potential impact on the project and applicability to current and foreseeable work streams.
• Utilising knowledge of safety case construction and Nuclear Power Station design principles to inform decision making relating to prioritisation and targeting of learning to maximise benefit to the project being mindful of the needs of the future operator.
• Support the process and provide the focus for capturing & disseminating post activity lessons learned relating to general organisation and continuous improvement activities.
Knowledge and Skills
• Proven ability to influence and drive adoption of continuous improvement practices throughout the construction industry.
• Ability to work in a fast paced delivery oriented environment to seek opportunities to embed immediate change in the organisation and workforce.
• Strong analytical and critical thinking skills.
• Knowledge and experience of engineering projects and common challenges and opportunities.
• Current knowledge of health & safety practices within the construction industry.
• Excellent interpersonal, communication and written skills, coupled with attention to details
• Works with enthusiasm and energy, and can engage with people at all levels of the organisation.
• Identifies shortfalls in ways of working and provides feedback on required amendments using own knowledge drawing on extensive experience in the construction industry
• Ability to communicate complex topics and difficult messages in a clear and understandable way which is accessible and relatable for a diverse audience of differing levels of technical background.
• Appreciation of how the design and construction decisions/actions can introduce latent errors and then subsequently impact Nuclear Safety.
Qualifications and Experience
• 5 years industrial experience in a leadership position
• Knowledge and experience of incident investigation techniques in a technical context
• Experience of promoting & using error reduction techniques in a technical context
• Background in Human Factors in industrial settings
• BTEC ONC/HNC or equivalent in Engineering/Construction plus relevant experience or degree in a related engineering subject
• APM Introductory Certificate or equivalent qualification in Project Management advantageous
• Accreditation with a professional body
Rullion celebrates and supports diversity and is committed to ensuring equal opportunities for both employees and applicants
£30k - £35k Annual
£35k - £35k Annual
£18k - £18.3k Annual
£37k - £40k Annual