Buildings Design Delivery Manager
Posted on Jun 10, 2019 by CV-Library
Role Type: Contract
Length of contract: 1 year initially
Job Purpose / Overview (Briefly state the Job’s overall mission)
The Buildings Design Delivery Managers (BDDMs) are the backbone of the MEH Design Management Team (DMT) organization structure to achieve DMT responsibilities. They are structured per buildings, which define their scope, and they are focusing on the Design delivery management (from start of Detailed Design to end of Execution Design) in a pragmatic and reactive decision-making way. They are accountable for integrated delivery of that Design, while Design entities remain responsible on their own scope. They have to be considered as “Project Manager”. They are working as one team, also managing inter-building interfaces (delivery priority and coordination) at their level of delegation.
BDDMs connect with Design operational teams through their Coordinators in each organization (Edvance Fr and UK, CNEPE, DET, SET, MEH JV Alliance Engineering), which are embedded in DMT. Those Coordinators are members of DMT. They work closely with BDDMs to support them in their roles and responsibilities. They all work as one team, to ensure delivery of Design in line with DMT objectives.
The BDDMs report to the Head of DMT.
Hinkley Point C is a nuclear site, based in West Somerset, 15 miles from Bridgwater. The NNB ambition is to build two major EPR nuclear plants, and the position will be part of a newly built structure, the Design Management Team, within the MEH Programme which focuses on delivering on-time a safe, mature, constructible and commissionable Design to drive for ‘25 the MEH erection activities.
The post holder will be part of the Design Management Team, embedded in the MEH Programme, and be collocated, until most of the Execution Design is achieved, in Edvance’s office(1) in Malakoff, France, and will be required to travel to other company locations in France and in the UK. The collocation days must be at least 3 days per week. BDDM will be based in his own parent office for the rest of the week.
When Execution Design will come to achievement, the whole DMT moves to site, which includes the BDDM.
Principal Accountabilities (Outputs of the Job – Activities & Decisions)
The key roles and responsibilities of the Buildings Design Delivery Manager are the following:
• Coordinates delivery of Design activities to meet schedule objectives (defined by SLT), directly with Designers Coordinators:
o Ensure priorities have been provided to production teams managers;
o Review Design sequence with relevant Design teams
• Builds and coordinates integrated level 3 engineering schedule, directly with Designers Coordinators (see Section 5.5 below), and monitor progress against schedule:
o Schedules alignment;
o Risks/ float management;
o Design maturity monitoring
• Arbitrates among all stakeholders on handover trade-offs, defines and monitors common action plans (if required maturity level not reached at handover), directly with Designers Coordinators (see Section 5.5 below):
o Interface milestones alignment and monitoring;
o Gateway process;
o Risks assessment
• Ensures Design delivery in line with constructability and commissioning issues/ decisions (managed by Delivery Integration Lead);
• Alerts SLT in case of operational performance not in line with objectives;
• Ensures scope of work consistency to deliver the buildings (all contracts);
• Manages inputs (i.e. integration of interfaces in schedule and impacts analyses) with other relevant Programmes, mainly Equipment and CW
The BDDMs must have strong capabilities in Project management and must be empowered to deliver in line with DMT objectives. This means they must be legitimated, within all relevant Design entities, to ensure their responsibilities.
Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications & Experience
Knowledge & Skills
• Strong Project Management skills, in particular Schedule Management
• Knowledge and experience of programme progress and forecast position against schedule
• Ability to work collaboratively and in an integrated team environment
• Ability to influence without authority
• Understanding and awareness of working in a highly regulated environment
• High Ethical values
• Excellent organisational and communication skills
• Ability to produce informative, concise reports
• Motivational approach and the ability to energise team members by building a climate of trust and understanding
• Strong communication skills in English required
• Awareness of project change control and, risk management processes
• Knowledge of French would be an advantage to communicate freely with RD partners
Qualifications & Experience
• Degree in Mechanical, Electrical or HVAC Engineering or Equivalent in related subject
• Or a demonstrable level of experience based on years of experience and projects assignments
• Experience in Project Management
• Experience in operating in a high security environment
• Working knowledge in the delivery of large complex construction projects
• Experience and understanding of working in a Nuclear and Safety Quality Culture
• Design Engineering Experience
• Experience in Mechanical, Electrical or HVAC erection
Rullion celebrates and supports diversity and is committed to ensuring equal opportunities for both employees and applicants
£38k - £38k Annual
£65k - £75k Annual
£340 - £350 Daily