Quality Engineer (QE)
Posted on Jun 8, 2019 by JAC Products
Type Regular Full-Time
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Quality Engineer (QE) is responsible for meeting all Customer expectations on delivery and quality of all products manufactured in their Business Unit. Also, responsible for implementation of corporate and plant quality procedures into their business unit, and assure the Business Unit team members are trained and adhering to the quality procedures.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
To perform this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
- Shall adhere to all safety, health and environmental procedures, policies and practices such as; utilizing personal protective equipment and proper attire in keeping with safety standards.
- Comply with all QMS / EMS / ISO procedures and work instructions as it pertains to the position description.
- Monitor and address all customer websites and quality reports.
- Assure all manufacturing processes and manufacturing cells comply with PFD, PFMEA, and control plans approved through PPAP process.
- Ensures that all Quality related activities in the office and on the production floor are carried out in a safe manner. Responsible to address any unsafe practices by any employee that are witnessed in any area on the shop floor or in the office.
- Owner of all customer responses and activities for the Business Unit assigned to him/her; this includes but is not limited to obtaining data on customer specific web portals, visiting customer locations, completing customer returns for non-conforming product and maintaining/publishing specified customer and plant metrics.
- Effectively supports and understands the JAC Products Development System (JPDS) and overall launch responsibility.
- Responsible for creating and controlling boundary samples, responsible to control process control plans, gage instructions, standard sheets, and operator work instructions.
- Responsible for annual layouts of all customer products required by customers.
- Owner of the Quality Alert tracking, assuring Quality Alerts are recorded and posted correctly.
- Responsible for updating fast response board, completing stand-downs with team, leading team to identify root cause, support team in implementing permanent corrective actions, reporting information to the customer and closing out fast response items.
- Responsible for items posted in the Business Unit quality hold area (Material Review Board). Lead role in management of non-conforming product and supplier returns.
- Responsible for the maintenance of Kiosk Boards in accordance with the Manufacturing Cadence.
- Lead QPT's on all tasks defined in the Quality Process Technician Job Description. Daily support of QPT's in their roles.
- Leads, co-leads, or assists in audits of the Quality Management System of their assigned cells; includes compliance to existing work instructions, processes, and forms. Includes internal and customer driven audits and Layered Process Audits.
- Interface with suppliers, including, but not limited to: review and approval of supplier PPAP submissions, processing of supplier non-conforming product and continuous improvement suggestions.
- Collection and review of internal and external containment data for each assigned cell. Provide summary of results to Business Unit team. Support team on implementation of corrective actions.
- Assure all gages being used within the assigned manufacturing cells are following the calibration/certification requirements.
- Use statistical analysis tools to drive and support changes to the process to reduce variability and improve overall manufacturing performance.
- Responsible for training Business Unit team members and operators on proper gaging process, Gage Work Instructions, boundary samples, customer appearance standards, statistical process control, and problem solving techniques.
- Performs all other functions as required; included are any work assignments relating to the efficient flow of work within JAC Products, Inc.
- Advanced technical knowledge of relevant manufacturing processes such as: injection molding, extrusion, fabrication, metal roll-forming.
- Strong understanding of statistical process control and how to use data to drive decisions.
- Advanced knowledge of OEM quality standards, systems, and processes.
- Successful Product Launch / Production Start-up experience including all documentation, testing, data collection, and reporting.
- Experience leading the PPAP process to successful conclusion.
- Advanced knowledge and practical application of Problem Solving / Process Improvement analysis, tools, and techniques.
- Knowledge of Datum Structure and Design for Manufacturing.
- Strong working knowledge of lean manufacturing concepts and standard work.
- Advanced computer skills, including P.C. knowledge and current technology software familiarity.
- Ability to communicate effectively
PREFERRED EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
Note: Possession of a High School Diploma or General Education Degree (GED) is required for all new hires in all positions.
- Bachelor's degree in an Engineering or the equivalent/relevant experience preferred
- Certified Quality Engineer (CQE) or equivalent is preferred
- Six Sigma Black Belt preferred
- Three (3) or more years' experience in a relevant engineering discipline within a manufacturing environment.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The work environment characteristics and physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to frequently walk or stand for long periods of time.
- Ability to regularly sit for extended periods of time.
- Ability to regularly lift and/or move up to ten (10) pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to twenty-five (25) pounds , and occasionally lift up to fifty (50) pounds.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to vibration, repetitive motion, bending, lifting, twisting, crouching, reaching, pushing and/or pulling, as well as high temperatures.
- While performing the job functions of this position, the employee frequently works near powered motor vehicles, power tools, and automated assembly fixtures.