Central Service Technician
Posted on May 24, 2019 by SSM Health St. Clare Hospital - Baraboo
- Demonstrates the ability to follow aseptic technique for instrument processing via steam and gas plasma sterilization; a. Collection, b. Decontamination, c. Processing, d. Sterilization, e. Dispensing, f. Inventory control, g. Equipment controls & logs, h. Able to trouble shoot for load fails i. Inspects condition of materials and replaces as appropriate j. Maintains proper techniques for sterile processes as appropriate
- Demonstrates effective knowledge and skills with Materials Management Information systems; a. Able to run reports in SAP, b. Able to complete cycle counting for inventory management at least twice a year, c. Able to use SAP to adjust department inventories
- Demonstrates effective communication skills; a. Able to utilize email, b. Able to utilize computer, c. Resolution of customer issues and complaints within 24 hours, d. Maintains positive communication with staff, peers, and vendors
- Interacts appropriately with units needing Central Supply items and problems solved appropriately; a. Provides requested items timely to internal customers or offers alternate solutions.
- Demonstrates the ability to process stock from the dock, stock room, and to the units; a. Can enter data into the handheld devices for inventory management, b. Able to stock units with needed supplies with filing from the back first
- Demonstrates the process for receiving and supply inventory management; a. Able to process the following; packing slips, freight bill, and receiving report. b. Checks for correct quantity, damages, and processes recalled items c. Maintains complete & accurate shipping records, d. Emergency items are processed immediately, e. Rotates and removes outdated products
- Performs general duties and complies with hospital policies and procedures; a. Processes in and outgoing mail as needed, b. Provides cross-functional coverage within the department as needed.
- Demonstrates the ability to function within the incident command position of procurement if necessary; a. Completed level 100 training, b. Active participation in hospital drills.
- Completion of a surgical or central service technician and/or relevant experience.
- High school graduate or equivalent.
- Ability to perform general office procedures and familiarity with basic medical terminology and products preferred.
- Capable of performing basic math calculations.
- Must have good interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with others.
- Previous experience in a hospital setting
- Technician certification by a nationally recognized program is preferred upon hire. Must be obtained within one year after hire.
- Lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling up to 25 lbs.
- Stooping, kneeling and/or crouching daily.
- Standing or walking more than 4 hours a day.
- Running to respond to patient emergencies.
- Reaching, grasping, fingering, and/or feeling more than 6 hours a day.
- Visual acuity in order to correctly distinguish skin tone variations, evidence of IV infiltration, infection; able to read telemetry, blood pressure gauges, etc.
- Audio acuity in order to correctly distinguish various body sounds (i.e., respirations, heart tones, bowel sounds).
- Audio acuity to discern sounds made by various types of machinery or equipment that would indicate dangerous or improper operation.