Posted on May 18, 2019 by Glosten, Inc.
Designing a research vessel for the National Science Foundation. The design and integration of shipboard electrical power systems. The development of machinery plant monitoring and control systems for a liquefied gas carrier. Integration of shipboard propulsion, navigation, and communications for a 400-foot vehicle/passenger ferry. Evaluation of fire and life safety equipment and arrangements for shipboard crew and passengers. The development of new and novel engineering applications to meet changing regulations, business environments, and environmental considerations.
This is the kind of work that awaits you at Glosten. For over 60 years, we've solved some of the world's most unique marine challenges from our office on Seattle's vibrant waterfront. Our view of a bustling port, a neighboring shipyard, and vessels crossing Puget Sound provide a constant reminder that the work we do stretches far beyond our community. It's work that impacts the world, and it's work we want you to be a part of.
Glosten (equal opportunity employer) is seeking a Marine Engineer to join our growing marine and electrical engineering practice group.
- Bachelor's degree in marine engineering; or
- Bachelor's degree in electrical or mechanical engineering with equivalent technical marine experience.
- Engineer-In-Training (EIT) Certificate required.
Required Technical Skills and Experience
- Minimum of three years of marine experience.
- Professional Engineering (PE) License a plus.
- Demonstrated abilities and specific technical knowledge (including underlying theory) of fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, power train principles, and general shipboard mechanical systems.
- General technical knowledge of shipboard electrical power and control systems.
- Familiarity and general knowledge of maritime regulatory environment and submittal processes, shipboard systems requirements, field work (shipchecking and shipboard systems performance surveys), shipyard practices, specifications, computational methods and design optimization.
- Shipboard and/or shipyard construction experience is a plus
- Effective technical communication skills in verbal, written, and graphic formats.
- Ability to understand and contribute to resolution of a wide range of technical issues outside traditional marine engineering disciplines, including naval architecture (marine structures and stability issues) and design/drafting.
- Familiarity with commercial engineering and office software packages.
Responsibility for Direction of Others
- Ability to manage small projects including client communications, assigning tasks, scoping, scheduling and budgeting.
- Coordinate the technical work of other professionals on specific projects.
This position requires the ability to work in the field at client offices, shipyards, and on board vessels of all types. Engineers must be able to climb ladders and navigate walkways and gangways, and to easily transfer onto and off of a ship. Work in confined spaces such as engine rooms and tanks may be required.
Travel is required. Some project assignments may require extended deployments away from the office. A valid driver's license, current passport, and TWIC card are required.
Glosten offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical/dental coverage, paid time off, tuition reimbursement, bonus and profit-sharing plans, and a 401(k) plan.
Due to project restrictions, Glosten will only consider applicants with unrestricted access to work in the United States or those eligible for TN visas.
Glosten is proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment. In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, employment decisions will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. Glosten does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, sex, age, religion, national origin, handicap, disability, sexual orientation, or veteran status in accordance with applicable state and federal laws.
We encourage women, minorities, veterans, disabled veterans, and the disabled to apply for this position.