Oncology Clinical Nurse Specialist
Posted on May 18, 2019 by Emerson Hospital
The Bethke Cancer Center is a joint collaboration between Emerson Hospital and the Massachusetts General Hospital that brings together experienced cancer specialists, leading edge technology and the latest treatment options. The collaboration includes medical oncology services provided by a team of MGH physicians and nurse practitioners and Emerson Hospital nursing staff who practice in both the Naka Infusion outpatient center and North 6, Emerson's inpatient medical oncology unit. The Naka Infusion center provides therapy for both oncology patients and other patients with a variety of medical conditions. Services include chemotherapy, biotherapy, antibiotics, therapeutic phlebotomy, blood transfusions, injections and immunizations. Nursing care is provided in accordance with the stated philosophy and standards established by the Nursing Service Department, regulatory agencies and professional organizations.
The Oncology Clinical Nurse Specialist (OCNS) provides leadership, knowledge, skills, and behavior-modeling that influence nursing practice within the Naka Infusion Center and inpatient care areas providing oncology care. The OCNS is responsible for the development and ongoing maintenance of evidence-based policies, procedures, and protocols, as well as best practice models and guidelines.
- Minimum Qualifications
- Master's degree in Nursing or related field required
- Minimum of 5 years' experience in oncology nursing
- Licensure and/or Certification
- Current license as a professional nurse in Massachusetts required.
- BLS healthcare provider required.
- OCN certification strongly preferred or willingness to obtain.
- Evidence of continue education and professional development
- Strong oncology and chemotherapy knowledge base
- Adheres to established regulations concerning patient information and privacy
- Ability to support nurses with varying knowledge and skill sets, from novice to expert clinicians
- Critical-thinking skills
- Strong leadership skills
- Ability to develop collaborative relationships both internally and externally
- Ability to work both in teams and autonomously
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to prioritize and reprioritize quickly
- Basic computer skills
- Reliability and punctuality in daily work schedule