Director, Information Technology
Posted on May 18, 2019 by USAA
Director, IT advises executive management and multiple teams, and provides high level consulting and influence on business initiatives. This position acts as an operational delegate of EMG (Executive Management Group). Directs, plans, and organizes activities of professional and administrative staff engaged in providing information technology services. Provides for technical leadership in the plan, design, development, testing, implementation, or maintenance of business solutions. Leads and directs change management, process improvement, or technical support initiatives cross-departmentally and within assigned unit. Provides long- and short-term strategic direction and analytical support and directs business plan development to execute initiatives.
USAA knows what it means to serve. We facilitate the financial security of millions of U.S. military members and their families. This singular mission requires a dedication to innovative thinking at every level. In each of the past five years, we've been a top-40 Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For®, and we've ranked among Victory Media's Top 10 Military Friendly® Employers 13 years straight. We embrace a robust veteran workforce and encourage veterans and veteran spouses to apply.
ABOUT USAA IT
Our most important qualification isn't technical, it's human. Here, we don't just sit in front of a screen. We stand behind our 12 million members who rely on us every day.
We are over 5,000 employees strong, a passionately supportive and collaborative team built on agile principles. We've been a top-two Computerworld 100 Best Places to Work in IT five years in a row and were recently named a Top 50 Employer for Minority Engineers & IT by Workforce Diversity Magazine.
See what it's like to work for a company where your passion meets our purpose:
USAA Information Technology: A Realistic Preview
- HUMAN RESOURCES: Second level people management responsibilities including hiring, termination, performance management and pay management.
- Provides formal and informal training and coaching to units/teams in expected behavior and activities.
- Monitors and tracks progression of unit goals and objectives.
- DOMAIN: Operational Management (Day-to-Day): Accountable for the day-to-day operation of technical domains.
- Relies heavily on seniors and leads within their respective teams for functional execution.
- Regularly identifies, monitors and evaluates key metrics to ensure health and progress within respective domains.
- Anticipates and responds appropriately to new demands, priorities, challenges, or obstacles.
- Advises executives and/or senior directors in defining organizational goals and strategic plans.
- FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT: Each Director is expected to manage and forecast unit level expenses which may include department allocations, Product/Component, 3rd Party, project/program, software and vendor expenses.
- CUSTOMER RELATIONSHIP MANAGEMENT: Effectively manages relationships with IT and Business teams (cross-functionally) on operational and strategic efforts.
- Builds relationships and influences leadership outside of respective departments.
- Identifies and leads cross-departmental improvement efforts.
- Makes significant impacts external to their primary department.
- Self identifies improvements and leads initiatives in partnership with other I/T departments.
- VENDOR RELATIONSHIP MANAGEMENT: Manages and leverages the relationship with 3rd Party vendors to ensure achievement of domain objectives.
- May be responsible for vendor management activities including service agreements, staff augmentation and technology contracts.
- Bachelor's degree required, or 4 additional years of related experience beyond the minimum required in lieu of a degree.
- 8 or more years of experience in a business, analytical or technology support function, plus at least 5 years as a team lead or manager in a relevant business function or technology environment.
*Qualifications may warrant placement in a different job level*
When you apply for this position, you will be required to answer some initial questions. This will take approximately 5 minutes. Once you begin the questions you will not be able to finish them at a later time and you will not be able to change your responses.
- Experience with IT Development and IT Financial planning.
- Experience with IT financials (expense management) including development of metrics, analytics and insights.
- Experience with Apptio, Cognos and enterprise program management financial planning systems like Artemis.
***Selected candidates will attend and complete the Management Development School program in San Antonio, TX, during their first six months in position.***
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
At USAA our employees enjoy one of the best benefits package in the business, including a flexible business casual or casual dress environment, comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, along with wellness and wealth building programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education will assist you with your professional goals.
USAA also offers a variety of on-site services and conveniences to help you manage your work and personal life, including seven cafeterias, two company stores and three fitness centers .
Relocation assistance is available for this position.
For Internal Candidates:
Must complete 12 months in current position (from date of hire or date of placement), or must have manager's approval prior to posting.
Last day for internal candidates to apply to the opening is 05/22/19 by 11:59 pm CST time.