Principal Scientist, Biology Drug Discovery
Posted on May 18, 2019 by Pharmacyclics, an Abbvie Company
More than 1,200 Pharmacyclics and AbbVie research scientists, clinicians, marketing, operations and corporate professionals work in the San Francisco Bay Area. They combine their expertise in immuno-oncology, stem cells, and cell-signaling with their knowledge of bispecific antibodies, antibody-drug conjugates (ADCs), and covalent-inhibitor technologies to discover and develop novel cancer treatments. Together, we are striving to outsmart cancer.
To learn more about us, please visit us at
We are seeking a Principal Scientist, Biology Drug Discovery.
General Position Summary/Purpose:
The Research Biology Department is seeking an outstanding scientist with strong expertise in cancer biology and a proven track record of accomplishments directing drug discovery projects. The successful candidate will head a research group with the mission to identify novel drug targets and discover novel therapeutic agents for the treatment of cancer. As a senior member of the Department, the successful candidate will be expected to mentor their reports and other junior colleagues in rigorous preclinical research, efficient time management and career development.
Key Accountabilities/Core Job Responsibilities:
- Conceive, communicate and execute innovative multi-disciplinary research strategies that encompass target validation, small molecule drug discovery and biomarker identification.
- Effectively direct a group of discovery scientists working across multiple projects ranging from target ID to clinical candidate selection.
- Represent the department on a cross-functional teams (medicinal chemistry, DMPK, pharmacology, safety/toxicology etc.) and effectively collaborate to drive early projects and ensure execution of a robust screening funnel.
- Actively participate in internal and external scientific meetings by presenting and critically evaluating the science and contributing to projects.
- Prioritize tasks and contribute to a highly motivated and productive research department with a sense of urgency and desire to meet project timelines.
- PhD in molecular/cell biology, cancer biology, or related discipline; >8 years industry experience in small molecule oncology drug discovery with prior group management responsibilities.
- Broad training in cancer biology, with a focus on hematological malignancies, and a deep understanding of mechanistic cancer biology and current trends in oncology therapeutics.
- Experience in small molecule oncology drug discovery, from target discovery/validation through IND filing is required.
- Excellent communication skills, organizational skills and the ability to work independently and in a team environment are essential.