Lead Java Developer
Posted on May 18, 2019 by Vanguard
Bring invention to investing
You'll continuously deliver imaginative solutions that also satisfy business needs. Your fresh ideas will directly impact one of our strategic focus areas and help us redefine the world of mutual funds. Your analytical approach to problem-solving, underpinned by strong interpersonal skills, will make you a valuable member of a reciprocal team that shares ideas and solves problems in new ways. And at every stage of the process you'll enjoy many opportunities to deepen your knowledge and widen your experience.
Specializations that'll make an impact
- Expert knowledge of the full product life cycle, IT vendor product assessment, and architecture design while leading and Agile Development team
- Experience with developing Java REST services - Spring, Jersey
- Experience with test automation and test driven development practices and frameworks - mutation testing, functional testing (NodeJS, Jasmine, JUnit, Cucumber), mock frameworks (Mockito, etc.), contract testing
- Familiarity with DevOps concepts, tools and continuous delivery pipelines - Bamboo, Jenkins, Maven, Bitbucket, Jira, GIT, etc
- Experience with API management platforms, design standards, and patterns is a preferred
- Knowledge of cloud/AWS development/engineering standard methodologies is a plus
- Knowledge of cloud data stores - S3, Dynamo DB and/or Amazon RDS
In this role you will:
- We will look for you to make the most of your senior-level expertise in Full-Stack applications by managing a team charged with developing solutions that integrate with existing IT systems
- Increase our understanding of how we can use data to help clients by building effective ways to monitor product health, business metrics and consumer usage patterns
- You will keep projects on track by communicating with project managers, spotting potential issues, and generating realistic estimates of costs and time
- You will recruit, mentor, build and motivate the IT teams that will positively impact our business
What it takes
- Undergraduate degree in a related field or the equivalent combination of training and experience
- 5+ years software engineering experience
- 3+ years of Leadership responsibilities
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong, proven analysis and analytical skills
- Strong planning and interpersonal skills
- Ability to implement instrumentation to capture business-specific metrics around consumer usage patterns
We are Vanguard. Together, we're changing the way the world invests.
For us, investing doesn't just end in value. It starts with values. Because when you invest with courage, when you invest with clarity, and when you invest with care, you can get so much more in return. We invest with purpose - and that's how we've become a global market leader. Here, we grow by doing the right thing for the people we serve. And so can you.
We want to make success accessible to everyone. This is our opportunity. Let's make it count.
Inclusion at Vanguard
Vanguard's continued commitment to diversity and inclusion is firmly rooted in our culture. Every decision we make to best serve our clients, crew (internally employees are referred to as crew), and communities is guided by one simple statement: "Do the right thing."
We believe that a critical aspect of doing the right thing requires building diverse, inclusive, and highly effective teams of individuals who are as unique as the clients they serve. We empower our crew to contribute their distinct strengths to achieving Vanguard's core purpose through our values.
When all crew members feel valued and included, our ability to collaborate and innovate is amplified, and we are united in delivering on Vanguard's core purpose.
Our core purpose: To take a stand for all investors, to treat them fairly, and to give them the best chance for investment success.
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.