Diversion Worker I/II
Posted on May 18, 2019 by Salinas Valley Solid Waste
Diversion Worker I/II
Field Operations Supervisor I
March 20, 2014
September 15, 2016
Under general direction of the Field Operations Supervisor I, perform a variety of semi-skilled/unskilled manual laboring tasks. To sort and separate materials for recycling on site, tip floor; and to perform other job related work as required.
DIVERSION WORKER I
Essential Job Functions: Essential functions may include any of the following tasks, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. The list that follows is not intended as a comprehensive list; it is intended to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities.
• Performs a variety of unskilled manual tasks primarily involving physical strength, dexterity and coordination;
• Lifts and moves heavy objects; separates materials such as tires, mattresses, wood, glass, metals, plastics, etc. from waste materials for recycling or reprocessing.
• Assists in loading and unloading trucks;
• May clear and clean transfer station or landfill various work areas.
• May be assigned to operate skip or wheel loaders.
• May perform some semi-skilled maintenance and repair tasks in a training and learning capacity.
• Moves collection bins with pneumatic forklift to and within the recycling facility.
• Sweeps and removes hazards from the work area floor of the recycling, transfer or disposal facility.
• May respond to questions from the general public related to the Authority's solid waste and diversion programs.
• Interact with customers and direct customers to proper drop off locations for recyclable items.
DIVERSION WORKER II
Essential Job Functions: Same as level I, with the following added task:
• Drive and operate loader
This job has no current supervisory responsibilities.
High school diploma or GED required. Note: Additional qualifying experience may be substituted for the required education on a year per year basis.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
A valid California "C" driver's license in required. Commercial "A" driving license preferred.
OTHER REQUIREMENTS A valid class "C" California driver's license -commercial "A" preferred. Must report any changes in status of driver's license. Must possess a sufficient amount of strength and stamina to lift and carry objects weighing up to 80 pounds and must be free from allergies to dust and pollen. Must be willing to work early morning, evening, holiday and weekend shifts. Must be willing to work with exposure to disagreeable and potentially hazardous substances.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
Any combination of training and experience which would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required knowledge and abilities would be:
• Previous work experience performing heavy physical labor is highly desirable.
• Continued possession of a valid California
• Driver's License and a driving record that meets the Authority's auto insurance requirements.
• Ability to handle physically demanding work including lifting/loading bulky and heavy refuse.
• Must possess violation-free driving record for at least 18 months prior to employment with the Authority.
• Ability to work independently and with minimal supervision.
• Must maintain violation-free driving record during employment.
• Ability to effectively deal with the general public and customers.
Skill in and Ability to:
• Perform semi-skilled maintenance, repair and construction assignments in a safe and efficient manner.
• Maintain productivity and focus on assigned tasks, with and without supervision, performing work in a timely and efficient manner.
• Understand and comply with safety policies and procedures.
• Pass District physical examination, which includes drug testing and pre-employment assessment of safe work capacity in relation to the essential job functions of the position including the requirements to wear respiratory protection and other safety equipment if needed.
• Understand and carry out oral/written directions and accept constructive criticism.
• Serve customers in a positive manner maintaining courtesy and respect at all times.
• Cooperate with other employees and promote team harmony and effectiveness.
• Apply sound judgment in a variety of circumstances with or without specific instructions.
• Adhere to an assigned work schedule; adjust working hours to include early evenings and/or Weekends if necessary.
• Conduct vehicle safety inspections.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos; ability to write simple correspondence; ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers and other employees of the organizations. Bilingual in Spanish is desirable.
Diversion Worker I/II
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals; ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed, but uninvolved written or oral instructions; ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Communication (Oral/Written) Expresses views in a fluent, clear, logical manner, with enthusiasm and confidence. Communicates openly and honestly, and promotes an open exchange of ideas. Is an effective listener - listens openly without interrupting. Keeps people well informed in respect of key organizational and departmental issues, in a timely manner. Delivers information effectively in a variety of written formats, including reports, letters, memos, emails, etc.
Cost Consciousness Does not waste resources. Looks for methods to improve processes that have a positive impact on the bottom line.
Customer Focus/Interpersonal Skills Seeks to understand the (complex) dynamics of the customer's business. Builds effective customer rapport/relationships and treats them as business partners. Makes customers feel appreciated for their business. Actively seeks and listens to customers' needs, suggestions and feedback. Takes a genuine interest in customers and demonstrates urgency, energy and enthusiasm in satisfying their needs. Is friendly, warm and sincere, and easily approachable. Is tactful, compassionate and sensitive, and treats others with respect and dignity. Is patient and understanding, listens empathetically to others and respects their opinions. Makes others feel appreciated, valued and included, and is considerate of their needs and feelings. Is sensitive to cultural diversity, race, gender, and other individual differences. Flexibility/Adaptability/Initiative/Proactivity Is open to new ways of working, ideas and processes. Adapts quickly and effectively, to new environments, people, and responsibilities. Readily adapts to stressful situations and factors outside of his/her control. Actively attempts to influence events and Instigates action without having to be urged on. Adapts and improves working methods in order to achieve goals. Anticipates and responds to future needs and opportunities and seizes opportunities when they arise. Anticipates problems and pro-actively develops contingency plans accordingly. Keeps current on emerging job-relevant trends and issues.
Functional Expertise Has the functional competence (skills & knowledge) to be effective in his/her job. Keeps specialist competence up to date with ongoing learning/studying. Actively seeks assignments and other on-the-job opportunities to improve self. Shares competence willingly with others.
Is committed to the team and its goals. Does fair share and is an effective contributor. Fills in for or assists fellow team members when necessary. Develops and maintains productive working relationships within the team. Willingly shares knowledge, skills and job-relevant information. Actively participates in team meetings without monopolizing it or reducing the importance of other team members. Encourages and considers others' ideas, opinions and suggestions. Actively involves self in team activities, and contributes positively towards team spirit and morale. Works effectively in cross-functional project teams (when required). OTHER QUALIFICATIONS
Physical Demands - The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk or hear.
Frequently stand and walk; ability to stoop..... click apply for full job details