Posted on May 18, 2019 by Des Moines Public Schools
2. Perform preventative maintenance on district vehicles and equipment as assigned.
3. Provide guidance and direction to mechanic assistant in the performance of duties as appropriate
4. Assist the Fleet Maintenance Specialist in determining maintenance needs within the district's fleet and in the distribution of the resulting workload.
5. Assist in maintaining current maintenance, inventory and tracking records on all vehicles and equipment within the district's fleet.
6. Assist in assuring interior and exterior cleanliness and appearance of maintenance facility.
7. Assist in providing the necessary safeguards to prevent loss of or damage to property, or failure of mechanical equipment.
8. Communicate with dispatch and office personnel via two-way radio, telephones, cell phone, and email to ensure proper maintenance of vehicles due to breakdowns or emergency situations.
9. Secure buses, building, parking lot, and fuel pumps as required.
10. Assist dispatch/routing by driving bus routes or trips as needed.
11. Utilize computer to read District and Department communications and to take online training.
12. Adhere to District policies and Department work rules. ADDITIONAL ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (for every DMPS position):
1. Attend work on a prompt and regular basis.
2. Maintain confidentiality.
3. Maintain satisfactory and harmonious working relationships with the public, students, and other employees.
4. Assist with other duties as may be assigned. HIRING SPECIFICATIONS
1. High School Diploma, HiSET or GED
2. Vocational certification or relevant qualifications as determined by the district
3. Ability and willingness to obtain a Commercial driver's license (CDL) within 60 days on the job.
4. Ability and willingness to obtain a State of Iowa School Bus Operators permit within 60 days on the job.
5. Theoretical and practical working knowledge of automotive mechanics
6. Ability and willingness to acquire specialized training as determined by the district
7. Working knowledge and skill in the use of a computer
8. Effective communication skills
9. Competency working in a culturally diverse environment or the willingness to acquire these skills Desired:
1.Five years of recent, relevant experience in an automotive service garage Salary and Benefits:$22.57/hr. Health Insurance, Dental, Life Insurance, IPERS included. Category: Installation & Maintenance , Keywords: Maintenance Mechanic