Staff Accountant - External Financial Reporting
Posted on May 18, 2019 by Exelon Corporation
At Exelon, we've got a place for you Join the nation's leading competitive energy provider, with one of the largest electricity generation portfolios and retail customer bases in the country. You will be part of a family of companies that strives for the highest standards of power generation, competitive energy sales, and energy delivery. Our team of outstanding professionals is focused on performance, thought leadership, innovation, and the power of ideas that come from a diverse and inclusive workforce. Exelon will provide you the tools and resources you need to design, build and enhance a successful career. We are also dedicated to motivating the success of our employees through competitive base salary, incentives, and health and retirement benefits. Join Exelon and share your passion at a forward-thinking Fortune 150 company. Establish yourself in a place where you can truly shine and create a brighter, more sustainable tomorrow.
Join our Exelon Business Services Company (BSC) to be part of a diverse and inclusive team that provides best-in-class professional services and adds exceptional value to Exelon's family of companies. We provide financial, human resource, legal, information technology, supply management, communications, and corporate governance services.
Energize your career at Exelon!
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION
Exelon is seeking a highly motivated professional to join the External Financial Reporting team. The Staff Accountant is responsible for assisting in the preparation, review and coordination of external financial filings, including filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC). Produce accurate and timely financial statements and Earnings Release materials as needed, including, if appropriate, FERC based financial statements. The Staff Accountant reports to the Manager of External Financial Reporting and will work closely with others in corporate accounting, finance, tax, legal, treasury and IT to ensure that the organization is in full compliance with all SEC and U.S. GAAP regulations. The Staff Accountant will also liaise with senior management, investor relations, attorneys and external auditors and perform diverse analytical projects.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Prepare, review and coordinate SEC and FERC filings, including the preparation of consolidated balance sheets, income statements and drafting and compiling disclosures and supplemental information. Prepare and review supporting financial schedules for the 10-Q's and 10-K to ensure adequate disclosures. Maintain tie-out binders to support all filings.
- Interact regularly with various teams throughout the organization as well as external auditors to coordinate the timely preparation and completion of external financial filings. Work closely with team members to ensure reporting issues are being properly addressed and communicated to business units and management.
- Participate in the preparation of board presentations, investor presentations and the earnings release.
- Participate in the XBRL tagging process ensure that appropriate tags are being utilized.
- Assist with projects related to the optimization of reporting procedures and ensure compliance with Sarbanes-Oxley control requirements.
- Perform special projects requiring technical accounting research and analyses of financial information as needed.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or equivalent
- At least 2+ years of experience in public accounting and/or industry accounting with SEC reporting responsibilities.
- Demonstrated technical knowledge and understanding of Accounting theory, principles, practices and regulations including FASB/GAAP and SOX compliance
- Understands requirements for documentation in work papers, disclosures and memos; demonstrated ability to document a broad range of technical issues
- Demonstrated successful use of technology to improve process efficiency
- Effective teambuilding and leaderships skills
- Demonstrated project management skills
- Commitment to highest standards of quality and integrity
- Exude a high degree of professionalism and treats others with respect
- MBA with a concentration in Accounting or Finance
- Regulatory/utility/FERC/SEC reporting or energy industry experience
- Working knowledge of Hyperion and Webfilings
- Perform day-to-day activities associated with the reporting process.
- Ensure disclosures are accurate and timely.
- Proactively notify Principal, Manager or Director of any accounting/reporting issues or concerns.
- Work closely with other departments and Business Units regarding reporting activities.
- Work output has considerable impact on the work of other financial functions, reporting and decision making processes. Impact on earnings focuses on appropriate utilization/development of resources.
- Work with various parties, both within the Controller's Group as well as other areas of the company, to accomplish goals, resolve issues and enhance and improve processes. Contact with others requires tact and persuasiveness.
- Work is varied and somewhat difficult in nature, but usually involves limited responsibility. Requires moderate exercise of judgment, initiative, and ingenuity to select the most appropriate course of action.
- May participate in planning processes at project and departmental level.
- Work under minimal supervision.
- Position, at times, may require overtime, weekend work and limited travel.
Exelon is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and employees or applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to: age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor
EEO is the Law Poster