Staff Nurse Surgical/Medical (5M)
Posted on May 18, 2019 by UPMC
This position is eligible for a generous sign-on bonus! Whether you're a recent Graduate Nurse looking to launch your nursing career, or a seasoned RN seeking a change, now is your moment to find your place at Employer!
Sign-On Bonus Details (Full Time or Flex Full Time status)
$10,000 sign-on bonus available for nurses with over two years of experience
$5,000 sign-on bonus available for Graduate Nurses and nurses with less than two years of experience
*Part Time status positions are also eligible for sign-on bonus at a prorated amount - $5,000 for experienced nurses with over 2 years of experience, and $2,500 for GNs and nurses with less than 2 years of experience
The Staff Nurse is a Registered Nurse (RN) or Graduate Nurse (GN) and a member of the care delivery team. The Staff Nurse is responsible to set the standards for the level and quality of care. The Staff Nurse has responsibility, authority and accountability for the provision of nursing care. The Staff Nurse manages and provides patient care activities for a group of patients and their families through the application of independent judgment, communication and collaboration with all team members. The role of the Staff Nurse encompasses the beginnings of leadership, partnership, collaboration and supervision. The Staff Nurse establishes and maintains collaborative relationships with physicians, other health care providers, patients and their families, to achieve desired patient outcomes throughout the continuum of care. The Staff Nurse begins to demonstrate a commitment to the community and to the nursing profession.
- Actively engages in clinical development and/or RN residency program for new hires. Requests opportunities to learn safe, accountable and autonomous practice from more experienced nurses. Seeks, accepts and utilizes performance feedback from peers, preceptors and unit/department Leaders as a learning opportunity and to improve practice. Demonstrates enthusiasm for continuous learning and identifies and creates a plan for the continuation of learning and development. Identifies patient and family needs for education and provides basic education to support the episode of care. Seeks professional development and involvement through membership in a professional nursing organization and/or reading professional literature on a regular basis.
- Applies basic nursing knowledge and skills within the framework of Relationship Based Care, using the nursing process to meet the clinical, psychosocial and spiritual needs of the patient and family. Communicates effectively, both verbally and in documentation. Demonstrates critical thinking in the identification of clinical, social, safety, spiritual issues within the episode of care. Learns to incorporate national professional organization as well as business unit and health system's goals to improve patient safety, quality and satisfaction.
- Formulates a plan of care and daily goals that consider individual patient needs. Demonstrates initiative and seeks formal and informal opportunities to improve clinical practice. Seeks guidance and asks questions to continuously improve nursing practice. Creates a caring and compassionate patient-focused experience by building healing relationships with patient, families and colleagues. Identifies ethical situations within patient care or within the workplace and seeks assistance. Professionally accepts assignments that gradually increase patient load and complexity.
- Demonstrates a basic knowledge of research, how it affects practice and who/what resources are available to assist with evidence based practice by asking questions, demonstrating interest, participating in unit-based journal clubs. Clinical practice demonstrates knowledge of how quality and innovation impacts patient satisfaction, safety, and clinical quality outcomes. Identifies opportunities for improvement on the clinical area.
- Demonstrates accountability for professional development that improves the quality of professional practice and the quality of patient care. Makes recommendations for the improvement of clinical care and the health of the workplace and welcomes and participates in change initiatives. Leads by investing and building healthy relationships among colleagues and other disciplines. Shows the ability to set priorities and demonstrates an understanding of shared governance and begins participating at the unit level. Begins to serve as an engaged member of a team supporting colleagues in service to patients and families and may participate in task forces or other initiatives.
- Demonstrates the ability to communicate clearly and effectively with all members of the health care team. Begins to demonstrate awareness of cultural diversity, horizontal violence and impairment in the health professions. Cares for patients and self by supporting safety in the workplace.
- Provides physician support to assist with completion of Depart/Medication Reconciliation function in eRecord.
- 0-1 year RN experience.
- Completion of Employer student nurse internship or student clinical transitions course at Employer preferred. BSN preferred.
- Basic Arrhythmia Class and Critical Care Class for ICU Unit
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
NIH Certification will be required within 6 months of hire for the following units: ED, CVU, ICU and 4M. CPR required based on AHA standards that include both a didactic and skills demonstration component within 30 days of hire Must complete licensure examination within FOUR MONTHS of hire or within one year of graduation, whichever comes first. Though temporary permits are valid for one year from the date of graduation, not one year from issue of permit (or until the results of the examination are known at which time it becomes null and void), Employer requires that GNs take the licensure examination within 4 months of their start date or they will be terminated or demoted from the GN position, at the discretion of the BU.
- Act 34 Criminal Clearance
- Basic Life Support or Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation
- Older Adult Protective Services Act
- Registered Nurse or Temporary Practice Permit
Employer is an equal opportunity employer. Minority/Females/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
Salary Range: $25.04/hour
Union Position: Yes