Classification Officer Technical Deputy
Posted on May 18, 2019 by Lawrence Livermore National Security
Classification Officer Technical Deputy
Location: Livermore, CA
Category: Science & Engineering
Organization: Weapons and Complex Integ
Posting Requirement: External DOE Q or Top Secret
Job ID: 105125
Job Code: Science & Engineering MTS 4 (SES.4)
Date Posted: April
Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
Nature and Scope of JobWe have an opening in for a Classification Officer Technical Deputy to lead and direct technical tasks and act as a backup for the Classification Officer's (CO's). You will provide subject matter expertise and strategic technical advice on classification requirements at all stages of information or classified matter development and in the planning, execution, and reporting of projects and programs. This position is in the Office of Classification and Export Control (OCEC) within the Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) Directorate.
- Designs, develops, interprets and leads policies, procedures, standards, trainings, procedures and new guidelines for the generation, marking, handling, storage, reproduction, transmission, destruction, accountability where required for Top Secret, Secret, and Confidential matter which protects classified matter for unauthorized disclosure or loss.
- Research, develop and prepare strategic technical guidance and collaborate with government officials in the development of classification bulletins to meet DOE requirements.
- Serve on scientific or technical external committees representing the organization as primary technical contact, interacting with government sponsors.
- Act on the behalf of the CO, assist other advisors in conducting initial analysis of complex information applying advanced knowledge related to current DOE- and other government-approved classification guidance to Program DCs in order to determine classification in document reviews.
- Recommend changes to guidance when approved guides no longer address the full scope of classified program activities.
- Develop and communicate information on complex classification issues and policies by means of briefings, correspondence, and bulletins given to the Laboratory Program Management.
- Lead the development, review and training regarding DOE and other government-wide classification guidance.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in technical fields such as physics, chemistry, materials science, engineering, or related fields or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Broad expertise and knowledge of classified matter protection and control (CMPC) laws, regulations, executive orders and DOE Orders.
- Recognized as a subject matter expert in one or more scientific or technical areas of development. Experience serving as the primary technical contact, mentoring other personnel, and advising senior management and/or external sponsors.
- Significant experience with highly complex assignments where the consequence of error may result in long-term inability to reach major Laboratory objectives.
- Experience working as a classification advisor, or as a senior, experienced derivative classifier.
- Significant experience effectively interpreting and implementing complex classification guidance for effective Program communications.
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently as a technical expert both independently and as part of a team towards specific objectives, while performing duties and assignments on a tight schedule.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information and provide advice to management.
- Master's or Ph.D. degree in a scientific or engineering field.
- Programmatic experience in one or more LLNL programs.
Pre-Employment Drug Test:
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at time of hire.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.1 billion, employing approximately 6,800 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Apply for this Job