Operations and Business Development Director, Center for Pro
Posted on May 18, 2019 by Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute (DFCI) and Deerfield Management have entered a multi-year collaboration to create the Center for Protein Degradation (CPD) at DFCI. The Center is seeking an experienced Operations and Business Development Director to provide administrative leadership and oversee Center operations, financial performance, and growth. This is an exciting opportunity for a driven self-starter to help implement the Center for Protein Degradation as a global center of excellence for targeted protein degradation discovery.Responsibilities
- Lead, oversee and coordinate all day-to-day administrative and non-scientific operational activities and staff of the Center.
- Serve as the main administrative liaison for the Center and coordinate efforts both internally and externally. Work closely with Center Leaders, Scientific Associate Director, DFCI Departments and Deerfield to ensure successful Center operations and outcomes.
- Develop annual operating plan (and budget) to inform scientific, staffing, space and financial planning for Center.
- Develop and implement policies, procedures, and expectations for Center operations and financial management that meet DFCI and Deerfield requirements.
- Provide project management for multiple concurrent Center projects, ensuring key milestones and deliverables are completed on time. Identify issues and work with Center scientific personnel to identify and implement solutions.
- Develop and implement processes, tools and reports to track and communicate the Center's scientific, operational and financial performance. Prepare monthly scientific, operational and financial reports for Center, DFCI and Deerfield leadership.
- Plan and prepare materials for Center meetings, including but not limited to joint steering committee meetings with Deerfield. Coordinate logistics, develop agendas, and prepare analyses and materials, as needed.
- Oversee, manage and coordinate all Human Resources activities for Center staff.
- Collaborate with Deerfield to develop and oversee the Center's communications materials, including website, social media, representation at industry events, etc.
Business Planning and Development
- Work with the Center's scientific leadership to lead and implement the Center's strategic and operational activities to achieve the Center's vision and goals.
- Identify new development, growth and collaboration/partnership opportunities aligned with the Center's vision and goals
- Independently conduct market analyses/assessments of competitive landscape and understand industry trends.
- Identify potential opportunities for collaborations, growth and/or improvement and conduct necessary analysis and due diligence.
- Develop and present analysis and proposals to DFCI, Deerfield and others, as needed.
- Work with DFCI's Belfer Office of Dana-Farber Innovation to identify, negotiate, and implement IP and licensing opportunities.
- Oversee and monitor Center's financial performance to ensure the Center is in good financial standing, meeting expectations of the Deerfield collaboration. Proactively identify and manage issues and potential solutions to resolve them.
- Develop annual and project budgets, adjusting for changes in scientific need/direction, as necessary. Analyze and incorporate new scientific and operational needs into budget and multi-year projections. Prepare forecasts and financial analyses as needed.
- Manage Center's financial staff to ensure accurate and timely financial performance, analysis and reporting.
- MBA or other advanced degree required, along with 5-8 years of leadership/management experience with demonstrated success in independently setting up new entities/organizations and driving change in an emerging area.
- Independent, self-starter with a strong work ethic, problem solving skills, and business acumen.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills. Ability to quickly learn and understand new concepts quickly, anticipate needs, and implement solutions for complex problems.
- Experience integrating and implementing scientific and business initiatives in a complex environment with multiple stakeholders.
- Exceptional project management and organizational skills, with demonstrated ability to drive multiple concurrent projects to completion. Ability to independently set priorities, make decisions, and implement changes.
- Ability to work well with and coordinate activities of scientific and business colleagues at various levels across multiple organizations.
- Excellent written, verbal, and presentation skills.
- Experience in business development and or start-up.
- Scientific/research background helpful, but not required.