Posted on May 18, 2019 by Lawrence Livermore National Security
Location: Livermore, CA
Category: Trades & Facilities
Posting Requirement: External w/US Citizenship
Job ID: 104879
Job Code: Senior Machinist I (981.2)/Senior Machinist II (981.3)
Date Posted: February
Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have multiple openings for Machinists/Sr. Machinists. You will provide journeymen skill level manufacturing support to fabricate difficult-to-machine parts, components, and assemblies to customer requirements. You will have close technical interactions with engineering support and facility personnel. These positions are in the Manufacturing Engineering Section (MES) of the Materials Engineering Division (MED), within the Engineering Directorate.
These positions will be filled at either the 981.2 or 981.3 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
- Set up and operate all conventional and most moderately complex precision and CNC machine tools to manufacture parts and assemblies.
- Handle and manage classified documents, parts, and systems.
- Perform shop calculations utilizing intermediate knowledge of material characteristics to determine optimum feeds, speeds, and dimensions.
- Operate related shop equipment, hand tools, and measuring instruments.
- Fabricate difficult fixtures and holding devices used during manufacturing processes.
- Perform shop math calculations utilizing intermediate knowledge of material characteristics to achieve ultra-precision finishes, dimensions, and overall design intent.
- Design and fabricate moderately complex fixtures and jigs to be used during a variety of manufacturing processes.
- Establish and plan techniques and procedures to carry out advanced technical assignments and set task priorities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition at the 981.3 Level
- Design and fabricate complex fixtures and jigs to be used during a variety of manufacturing processes.
- Establish and plan techniques and procedures to carry out complex technical assignments and set task priorities.
- Solve complex technical problems.
- Associate degree in Machine Tool Technology or equivalent completion of an apprenticeship program in the machining trade or equivalent level of prior relevant experience.
- Ability to perform moderately complex machining operations involving conventional and CNC machine tools, also related manufacturing and measuring equipment.
- Intermediate knowledge of ASME Y14.5M drafting standards (read and interpret blueprints) to produce parts and assemblies.
- Intermediate knowledge of a wide variety of materials and manufacturing processes including some difficult to machine and exotic materials.
- Ability to identify, analyze, and provide solutions or alternate approaches to manufacturing problems using individual judgment and creativity.
- Intermediate level knowledge of CNC programming, machining, planning, and estimating.
- Understanding of safety awareness and safe working practices. Ability to become medically qualified to wear respiratory and protection equipment.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills necessary to communicate tactfully and effectively in a technical environment.
In Addition at the 981.3 Level
- Advanced knowledge of ASME Y14.5M drafting standards (read and interpret blueprints) to produce parts and assemblies.
- Advanced knowledge of a wide variety of materials and manufacturing processes including some difficult to machine and exotic materials.
- Advanced level knowledge of CNC programming, machining, planning, and estimating.
- Familiarity with handling classified documents, classified parts, and classified removable electronic media.
- High Explosives or hazardous materials handling/machining experience.
- Familiarity with MasterCam and/or Pro-E-Creo CNC programming.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.1 billion, employing approximately 6,800 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.