Security Officer Public Safety- Full Time
Posted on May 18, 2019 by Akron Children's Hospital
Akron Children's Hospital is one of the largest independent pediatric hospitals in the U.S., and ranked among the best children's hospitals by U.S. News and World Report. Our dedicated staff serves nearly 800,000 patient visits per year through our 2 hospital campuses and a large network of locations offering primary and specialty care.
We are leading the way to healthier futures for children and communities through expert medical care, research, and prevention and wellness programs. As a teaching affiliate of Northeast Ohio Medical University and other universities, we train new generations of pediatricians, specialists, nurses and pharmacists every year.
- To treat every child as we would our own
- To treat others as they would like to be treated
- To turn no child away for any reason
We are seeking people who are committed to fostering a diverse environment in which patients, family and staff from a variety of backgrounds, cultures, and personal experiences are welcomed, included and can thrive.
Shift Information: Day Job
40 hr/wk, 8AM-4PMThis new position will be to staff the Metal Detectors.
Patrols assigned areas of Hospital campus in order to maintain an orderly and safe environment for patients, visitors and staff. Enforces Hospital policies and procedures, and applicable local and state laws. Upholds the mission, vision, values and customer service standards of Children's Hospital Medical Center of Akron (CHMCA).
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Patrol the campus and the surrounding areas being highly visible and alert for safety and security hazards and suspicious activities, working independently with minimal to no supervision. Secures buildings, offices, classrooms and other areas.
- Respond to alarms and all calls requesting Department of Public Safety services.
- Knowledge of Department Policies and Procedures with flexibility to modify under certain circumstances for optimal results.
- Contain and control crowds in order to preserve peace, providing a safe environment during large events.
- Enforce all parking rules and regulations, assist motorists with vehicle problems, and provide escorts to patients, visitors, and staff.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, and effectively via two way radio, computer, email, telephone, and verbal communications.
- Ability to effectively interact with populations of patients/customers with an understanding of their needs for self-respect and dignity utilizing de-escalation and other communication techniques.
- Ability to use a Record Management System to document incident reports in a complete, concise, and proper manner.
- Provide appropriate medical assistance to the sick and injured by providing first aid and/or alerting medical staff.
- Complete and successfully pass Field Training with a Field Training Officer (FTO).
- Responds to critical incidents.
- Assists Police Officers in the arrest and detention of a suspect.
- Performs all other duties and responsibilities as assigned or directed by Supervision or Command Staff.
Education and Experience
- Must be 21 years of age or older at time of hire.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Associates Degree in related field preferred.
- Possesses a valid Ohio driver's license (and ability to obtain and maintain eligibility of insurability as determined by the CHMCA insurance carrier's requirements to operate CHMCA vehicles) and reliable transportation to report to alternate sites.
- Successful completion of the OPOTA Private Security Academy and OPOTA 20 hour firearms certification or OPOTA Basic Police Academy.
- Required to achieve and maintain department's qualifying firearms standards for duration of employment.
- Successfully complete thorough background investigation.
- Demonstrate psychological fitness commensurate with the role of an armed officer, evaluated by a Psychologist designated by the Department of Public Safety Director and Chief.
- Extensive walking, running, bending, standing for extended periods of time
- Stretching, sitting climbing stairs.
- Possible exposures to hazardous materials, bodily fluids and contagious diseases.
- Exposure to loud sounds such as fire/burglar alarms, etc.
- Exposure to inclement weather.
- Must maintain adequate physical fitness level to perform essential physical aspects of the job effectively with minimized risk to self and others
Akron Children's Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individual with Disabilities.