ES&H Directorate Assurance Officer
Posted on May 18, 2019 by Lawrence Livermore National Security
ES&H Directorate Assurance Officer
Location: Livermore, CA
Category: Technical Services & Ops
Organization: ESH and Quality
Posting Requirement: External w/US Citizenship
Job ID: 105195
Job Code: Technical Services & Ops MTS 3 (TSS.3)/Technical Services & Ops MTS 4 (TSS.4)
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2019 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for an Assurance Officer. You will collaborate and participate in the planning, coordinating and overseeing of the assurance activities supporting the operations of the ES&H Directorate. This position will reside in the Assurance Management Office within the ES&H Directorate.
This position will be filled at either the TSS.3 or TSS.4 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
- Serve as the principal ES&H Directorate point of contact and resource for ES&H related assurance functions and processes, for ES&H and LLNL organizations, as well as external agencies (eg, Department of Energy/National Nuclear Security Administration [DOE/NNSA] and the Livermore Field Office [LFO]).
- Plan, coordinate and oversee the implementation of institutional contractor and directorate assurance processes within ES&H directorate-wide activities.
- Compile and perform complex statistical and data analysis; extract and interpret performance data, assess organizational and institutional trends, prepare technical assurance reports, and perform surveillance and follow up assessments.
- Assess and evaluate ES&H processes and conduct formal institutional assurance analyses including causal analysis, effectiveness reviews, and extent of condition reviews; provide solutions to complex issues/problems develop and implement corrective actions.
- Manage ES&H Directorate corrective action commitments with the Institutional Tracking System (ITS), ensure timely resolution and independent verification of closure.
- Lead and perform institutional assessments; initiate and complete formal institutional event reporting (ie., Occurrence and Non-Conformance Tracking System reporting).
- Develop and maintain required ES&H directorate assurance documentation (eg, plans, procedures and reports); provide support for assurance activities (eg, assessments, ITS management, causal analyses, defining corrective/preventive actions, and effectiveness reviews) in ES&H organizations.
- Act as backup for the ES&H Directorate Assurance Manager.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition at the TSS.4 Level
- Represent the Laboratory to external regulatory agencies and other DOE entities as the primary technical resource for ES&H-related assurance functions and processes, provide strategic technical advice to management and/or external agencies.
- Lead and facilitate the development of proactive mitigation controls and responsive corrective actions to address both organizational and institutional-identified assessment results based upon in-depth analysis of complex performance data, using independent judgment.
- Provide solutions to highly complex problems and mentor peers on ES&H assurance issues, requirements, tools and strategies.
- Bachelor's degree or higher in a scientific, ES&H discipline, related field or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Significant experience working in an ES&H oversight and/or discipline capacity and facilitating the implementation of ES&H work controls.
- Advanced knowledge of contractor assurance processes and tools, and DOE event reporting processes.
- Experience evaluating operations and activities to ensure compliance with established requirements, compliance-related aspects of industry standards, state and federal laws, and DOE regulations and directives (eg, ISO 14001 & 17025, OHSAS 18001, and 10 CFR 835 & 850).
- Knowledge and understanding of statistical analysis for the purposes of trending ES&H assurance data and investigative analysis skills for issue identification.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and to present and communicate technical information to all levels of management both internal and external to the Laboratory, including regulatory agencies and key stakeholders. Demonstrated ability to negotiate, recommend, and implement solutions for complex problems.
- Demonstrated analytical and decision-making skills with the ability to independently organize and effectively coordinate multiple and frequently conflicting, concurrent tasks, with good follow-through, and high degree of flexibility, discretion and tact.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
In Addition at the TSS.4 Level
- Significant knowledge and experience analysing, interpreting and assessing compliance with established regulatory and operational requirements at the activity, directorate, institutional and DOE Complex levels.
- Significant experience providing technical direction and leadership to highly complex occupational health & safety, radiological and assurance issues; experience mentoring and coaching others in one or more technical disciplines.
- Expert verbal and written communication skills; demonstrated ability to independently develop, negotiate, recommend and implement solutions and best practices to highly complex problems.
- Knowledge and experience using institutional assurance tools (eg, ITS, eIWS, eCAR, PTRS, LTRAIN, ChemTrack, Roles & Responsibilities database).
- Knowledge and experience with institutional assessment processes (eg, Internal Independent Assessment (IIA), Joint Functional Area Line Management Assessments (JFLMA), Management Self-assessments (MSA) Management Observation Inspection (MOI), Critiques).
- Knowledge of continuous improvement principles, tools, and methodologies, including lean six sigma or similar.
Pre-Employment Drug Test:
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.1 billion, employing approximately 6,800 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.Apply for this Job