Clinical Educator Central Sterile
Posted on May 18, 2019 by UPMC
- Under Regulatory direction with collaboration of SPD Director/Manager/designee and the Director of Surgical Services, the incumbent is responsible for overseeing the education needs of SPD.
- Ensures that Sterile Processing technicians, are properly trained and operating within the guidelines set forth by various industry standards and regulatory agencies including, but not limited to AAMI, IAHCSMM, CBSPD, SGNA, AORN,
- The Joint Commission, FDA, CDC, and OSHA.
- Performs various other training duties related to the Employer and Sterile Processing Department. Travels to facility sites as needed to conduct training.
- Conducts in-service at facility site as needed. Acting liaison for the health system to maintain updated Standard Operating Procedures by staying abreast to all regulatory changes including but not limited to IAHCSMM, AAMI, AORN, SGNA, Joint Commission, and CMS.
- Develops and maintains educational curriculum based on the prioritization of training needs in the hospital and for the development of the technicians on an individual basis. 9. Maintains Real Time documentation of education data and adjusts the education plan or communicates with management to ensure progress is maintained and barriers are addressed. 10. Communicates regularly with the SPD manager and/or department head. Presents training highlights and overviews/refreshers in staff department huddles/shift change meetings. 11. Provides re-education training and communication for performance issues found in the OR and instrumentation tray audits.
- Responsible for working with the department manager to support the education program of multiple Sterile Processing Departments within Employer Responsible for employee training and continuous assessments of skills and knowledge retention utilizing the Circle of Skills assessment tool in areas including decontamination, instrument tray assembly, instrument tray storage, sterilization processes and standard precautions to ensure patient safety and to minimize department pain points related to quality of performance.
- Will oversee orientation and training program of new employees with no central sterile processing experience including a focus on the following: SPD certification information review Surgical Instruments (name and function) Standard Operating Procedures as per Employer facility Oversee and review orientation and training program of new employees with central sterile processing experience.
- Works with each manager to evaluate deficiencies and train staff per system SOP. Adjusts schedule to work with all employees on all shifts to ensure training needs are met and supported. Ability to work pre-arranged weekend, night, and evening hours. Develops and maintains a training schedule for continuing education and training for each hospital based on needs and with flexibility to adjust to better address pain points of the department. Conducts audits of staff training records/competencies to ensure compliance with governing guidelines.
- Bachelor's degree 5+ years recent job experience as a Sterile Processing Technician
CRCST (IAHCSMM) CSPDT (CBSPD)
- Act 34 Criminal Clearance
- Certification Board for Sterile Processing and Distribution
- Certified Registered Central Service Technician
Salary Range: $24.99 to $43.25/hour
Union Position: No