Air Conditioning Mechanic
Posted on May 18, 2019 by Lawrence Livermore National Security
Air Conditioning Mechanic
Location: Livermore, CA
Category: Trades & Facilities
Organization: Facilities and Infrastructure
Posting Requirement: External w/US Citizenship
Job ID: 105135
Job Code: Air Conditioning Mech. II (822.2)
Date Posted: April
Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have an opening for an Air Conditioning Mechanic. You will perform specialized tasks in air conditioning, heating or ventilation and air conditioning/refrigeration (HVAC) controls maintenance, installation, and repair. This position is in the Facilities and Infrastructure (F&I) Department and may be located at LLNL main site (Site 200) or at Site 300 in Tracy, California.
- Responsible for installation, alteration, repair, operation, maintenance, adjustment and monitoring of chiller systems, air-conditioning and heating units; fans; ductwork systems including variable air-volume and dual-duct systems and the associated control systems (pneumatic, digital, and electronic); steam condensate and vacuum pumps, including recovery, recycling, and reclamation of refrigerants.
- Maintain heat exchangers and controls for heating domestic and industrial hot water.
- Perform piping repair and installation, related to the HVAC system, including drain lines.
- Inspect, operate, and repair low pressure boiler systems and related heating equipment.
- Repair and replace pneumatic control lines and values relating to pressure reducing stations, radiators, heating and cooling coil control valves, unit heaters, boiler control, and thermostatic controls.
- Manage building conditions through the utilization of computerized energy/building management systems and equipment.
- Provide test, adjust, and balancing services on air handling and hydronic systems in accordance with the National Environmental Balancing Bureau (NEBB) procedural standards for testing, adjusting, and balancing of environmental systems.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma, GED, or equivalent and completion of an apprenticeship program in air-conditioning, refrigeration, heating, and/or ventilation trade or equivalent intermediate journey level work experience in the air-conditioning, refrigeration, heating and/or ventilation trade.
- Intermediate to advanced journey level knowledge and abilities in air-conditioning, refrigeration, heating and ventilation trade.
- Extensive experience or formal training in air-conditioning, refrigeration, heating and ventilation systems and EPA Universal certification to work with refrigerants.
- Demonstrated ability to interpret mechanical building construction drawings and manufacturer's mechanical schematics. Knowledge of the mechanical national codes.
- Experience using hand and power tools and knowledge of layout and installation.
- Effective customer service and communication skills necessary to interact effectively with clients and a multi-disciplinary team and the ability to effectively establish priorities and handle multiple tasks with changing priorities.
- Computer skills necessary to complete time reporting, web-based training and work orders.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a valid California Driver's License.
- Knowledge of LLNL ES&H policies and procedures.
- Working knowledge of Automated Logic Systems, Trane, Metasys, and Invensys direct digital control systems.
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge in low temperature refrigeration.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position. Employees assigned to work at Site 300 may be exposed to the organism that causes San Joaquin Valley Fever (coccidiomycosis).
The Laboratory performs a variety of work, including some that may fall under Davis Bacon Act requirements. When work scope falls under this Act, the Laboratory complies with the prevailing wage requirements.
About UsLawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.1 billion, employing approximately 6,800 employees.
Site 300 is an experimental test site operated by LLNL. Situated on 7,000 acres in rural foothills approximately six miles South West of downtown Tracy and 15 miles South East of Livermore, Site 300 hosts approximately 200 employees with expertise in such fields as engineering, chemistry, biology, and environmental restoration.
LLNL is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Apply for this Job